Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am looking for a new fixed blade knife. I basically want a knife that can stand up to large amounts of abuse. Good edge rete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am looking for a new fixed blade knife. I basically want a knife that can stand up to large amounts of abuse. Good edge rete

I am looking for a new fixed blade knife. I basically want a knife that can stand up to large amounts of abuse. Good edge retention is a plus, as well as the ability to sharpen. Other then that I'm pretty open to suggestions.

Most knife for the money: Mora. Cody Lundin, famous survival instructor, swears by them, and carries one as a neck knife. Check out Ben's Backwoods on line as a source.

Comment

What are you willing to spend? For a little over $150 you can get a semi-custom knife from Legler knives. I have used one for years, and often give them as gifts. Many knife makers have admired it. In fact, I am about to order another in case, God forbid, something happens to Bob Legler. My preference is the Beaumont.

www.leglerknives.com/

Comment

Sourdough Dave is right on for a bargain knife. When hiking and don't plan on needing a knife, I throw a Mora in my pack. They weigh a LOT less than a Legler.

Comment

100 dollar area is about max... Once again I would prefer a utilitarian knife, preferably not wood handles and a steel with qualities similar to D2. Put frankly I want to be able to beat the crap out of it without feeling bad. (Within semi-reasonable limits)

Comment

Look at SOG. I have the jungle primitive. Its a great knife.

Comment

Also, Harbor Freight has a good knife for $7!. I have it, its a good quality knife.

Comment

I still carry my USMC Ka-Bar. They are great!

Comment

look at an ESEE 4

Those are seriously tough knives and tough steel, plus a lifetime warranty if it breaks, no matter what you did to it. Plus their made in the USA

Comment

My uncle had a World War Two Cattaraugus knife with a leather washer handle.
                    In between hunting seasons, he used it for digging in his garden and often left it sticking in the ground overnight.
                    He would clean it up and sharpen it for deer season.
                    I think the company is still making knives.

Comment

Buck 119 special is a great knife very tough and it does not break the bank plus they are made in the USA

Comment

Mora is a good one, so is the cold steal pendelton hunter line.

Comment

I love my Diamondblade. Pricey but it is the last knife I'm ever going to buy.

Comment

The suggestions for the Buck Special and the KaBar seem right to me. Those are two tough knives.

Comment

I second the Buck 119 and i also would recommend the Pathfinder.
                              Any of Buck knives are great values. My 119 is 1965 vintage and still going strong.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad