Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone catch the cover of the latest Field and Stream? (Or at least, the latest one on the shelf up here) Who can tell me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone catch the cover of the latest Field and Stream? (Or at least, the latest one on the shelf up here) Who can tell me

Did anyone catch the cover of the latest Field and Stream? (Or at least, the latest one on the shelf up here) Who can tell me what's wrong with the picture of the backcountry horseman and his outfit?

Where can I start? First, there isn’t a piece of equipment or tack in the photo that isn’t brand new except maybe the hat on that greenhorn’s head. We can start with that. Cowboy hats are about as useless as boobs on a boar in the backcountry, especially that time of year. Worst kind of headgear one can wear. That single piece of fancy fat multi-colored rope he is using for reins might be good for breaking his horse’s neck and little else. And how about those cute little half-length frilly shotgun-style bucking horse chaps! Hoo, boy! Talk about totally useless! Not good for either warmth or comfort. In fact, sitting on those frills for any length of time has GOT to be mighty damn uncomfortable. The blue jeans sticking out from below the chaps were so bright they almost knocked my eyes out. Definitely right off the shelf! His riding saddle is perched on a fancy foam-filled pad with a pretty Indian pattern cover sewn on it. Poor horse! He’ll sweat himself sore under a foam pad even in those wintry conditions. The pack saddles are sawbucks which surprised me. I have always been a sawbuck guy but they are more complicated to use than deckers (no halfbreed with packboards). I believe he has the pack loads in panniers but it’s hard to tell because they are covered with spotless new beautifully colored mantas. Pfffft! Ugly dam canvas is what any sensible person would use. You can buy it bulk off the roll and not worry about abuse (which they will get lots of!). It looks to me like that stuff he’s using is treated. Not a good plan to have treated canvas around meat (and the photo shoot was intended to at least simulate meat being packed out). Treated canvas is also much less durable than treated canvas of the same weight. Seems to be a diamond hitch thrown over the loads (hard to tell from the angle) but without a top pack which is a bit strange. Oh, and I almost forgot: how about that cute silk scarf around the dude’s neck? That is useful for gathering sweat and chill and nothing else! Quite cute though. Wish I could say this kind of silly outfit would look ridiculous in the Montana backcountry I’m familiar with. These days seems it is the norm.

Comment

I would love to pick the tack and rider in the photo apart but don't have a copy. Shucks... Possibly the reins are sewn to leather before they attach to the bit, some rope reins are made with a break-away way nowadays. I wonder if there is a cover photo on the web somewhere...?

Comment

Can you say, "New-York-City"!

Comment

Sorry, Pray, I looked for an image on-line but couldn't find it. The magazine is often hard to find up here but I did see a copy in a book store the other day and it caught my eye. I'll buy one maybe and scan it. If there's a break-away it's pretty well concealed. Looked to me like the rope was tied right to the snaffle bit. It's all one piece. For the life of me I can't see any advantage at all except cosmetics. Virtually impossible to get hands around it doubled up to neck rein properly. Steering two handed just don't work in the woods! I actually braided my leather reins together at the end but put a slit in it so they'd break apart if the horse happened to jump into it. I fell asleep in the saddle too many times and dropped the reins so I had to do something. The guy was wearing a coat that was also quite dahling. One of those Hudson's Bay blanket coats as I recall. A real mountain man-ish type thing. And, of course, it was spotless like everything else. Almost forgot the long gauntlet cavalry style buckskin gloves. Very expensive but oh so practical! Wonderful funnels for collecting pine needles, cones, burs, tics, etc.

Comment

It sounds like that guy needs a mentor or something. He needs help! : )

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad