Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best coffee maker, percolator, for camping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best coffee maker, percolator, for camping?

What is the best coffee maker, percolator, for camping?

If your packing into the back country the percolator takes up a lot of room in your pack. I like the tea bag style coffee bags you can just dip in hot water.

Comment

Oops. May be I should finish before I hit enter.

Otherwise coffee from the percolator is the best there is.

Comment

Take a look at the stainless coffee pots offered by Cabelas. They range in size from the small 2-3 cup pots to a behemouth that will distill enough early morning gitup to satisfy any coffee slugging hunt camp.

Comment

You can pick up an 'ol percolator at garage sales, or if you have access to electric,the tea bag style coffe bags, as buckhunter mentioned, is primo even with a microwave or a hot campfire.

If I'm runnin' late, a Red Bull will satisfy my gitty-up!

Comment

Tea bag coffee is the best and easiest for the backcountry, perculators work good for the roadside trips.

Comment

I've been accused of being both a coffee and a beer snob (both are probably true).

Anyways, If you ask me there is only one way to make coffee in the woods. Its called a french press (I use one in my kitchen most of the time too)

Percolators let the coffee re-circulate over the grinds for too long and at too high a temperature. This lets the water not only pull out the flavor molecules but also bitter chemicals in the beans. French presses don't do this, so you get full-strength coffee flavor goodness without the bitterness that makes you want cream and sugar.

Trust me, try making a batch of french press coffee and percolator coffee at the same time and do a taste test, you'll never go back.

They are definitely smaller and lighter than a percolator for back-country duty too. Though they are still a little to bulky for hard-core backpacking where you have to settle for the tea bags.

You can pick one up at your local walmart, target, gander mtn, etc.. for under $20

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_press

....mmmmm

Comment

Try a jetboil if you're someplace where a fire isn't practical.

Comment

I'm gonna change my answer. Any coffee is good coffee in the field.

Comment

buckhunter is right and it's even better after the hunt with a shot of Irish cream.
                    I have one of those French presses among other pots. My son is a coffee snob. Gets his beans from a place called Monmouth Street Coffee Co, London England. It's good stuff but runs about 15 bucks a pound IMS. The press is made of glass. I wouldn't try to pack one.

Comment

Dump your grounds into a empty coffee can full of water boiling over the fire. Remove, add a little cold water to settle the grounds and pour.

Comment

Ken I really like the idea of the French press, I think I will see if there is one durable enough to pack on horses. Del I have used your method many times when I didn't take a percolator which is inconvienant not so much due to weight as bulk. I usually pack the coffee in the pot to conserve space. Salt Lake Roasting is an excellent coffee choice, look them up on the web. Among their various gourmet choices is a non-gourmet blend called Morning Thunder that will get you going each day.

Comment

Del stole my answer with one exception and this is no joke, but I can think of a few snide remarks to make though I won't, I'll leave that up to you. Use a pot or can to boil the water but before you even leave home take a pair of 'clean' womens nylons and cut they up into pouches large enough to hold enough grounds to make a good pot and tie them off. Don't use a plastic twist tie. Now just throw one into boiling water, good clean coffee. Let the jokes begin.

Comment

empty coffee CAN, put grains in bttm, boil water and let grains settle to bttm and pour off top.

Comment

Use a Jet boil its great.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad