Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This year I am upgrading my hunting clothing, but need some help. Outlayer: I want bibs to prevent wind from blowing up my back.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This year I am upgrading my hunting clothing, but need some help. Outlayer: I want bibs to prevent wind from blowing up my back.

This year I am upgrading my hunting clothing, but need some help. Outlayer: I want bibs to prevent wind from blowing up my back. Coat: I want a coat that is waterproof and windproof. Base layers: I want something semi snug and preferably a single layer. All these need to be, Polar weight so to speak, waterproof & windproof(outlayer), NON-BULKY. I have been looking at Under Armor but the price is confiscatory in my opinion and I really don't now their product, but they maybe well worth it I don't know so any help would be great. Are there any comparable in design? My last 5 yrs has been rocky polar weight base layer and carhart heavyweight bibs fleece jacket under a North face jacket (similar to neoprene) and they just aren't cutting it anymore (darn office job I suspect).

To answer this I'd need to know what region of the country you're hunting in and the kind of temperatures you typically encounter (although based on your description it sounds like someplace cold). In my home state of Virginia, it doesn't get very cold until late in the season, and typically only single digits at the coldest in early morning. On those days, I opt for wool, but for the bulk of the season, I typically wear a waterproof (but uninsulated) coat from Cabelas, and then layer underneath based on temperature -- usually a lightweight fleece jacket over an insulated shirt with some type of baselayer (Under Armor is ok, but I use others). I keep a matching pair of rainpants in my PAC in case of moisture, but typically wear a synthetic hunting pant (also from Cabelas) that's fairly warm, and doesn't absorb moisture (like cotton). This general set up allows me to add and shed layers throughout the day based on temperature, and I like using waterproof shells as my standard kit because I'm always prepared for rain or snow. I have yet to find the right pair of boots that will keep me warm in a tree standard, yet be comfortable enough when I get down and stalk, but that quest continues. Good luck.

Comment

I wear a Cabelas windshear coat with a down vest under it for cold weather. then I wear waterpoof pants under wool pants and I am always warm no matter what the weather.

Comment

I generally dress in layers that are loose-fitting and comfortable. Why loose layers? Because loose layers trap more air and keep you warmer. Here's a breakdown of the layers I will wear:

Underwear - Synthetic fiber (usually a polyester blend) pants and shirt.

Pants - a layer of sweatpants if its really cold, but for moderate temps I wear heavy cargo pants

Upper layer - If it's really cold, a loose fitting non-hooded sweatshirt, with a heavy hooded sweat shirt on top of that, and a fleece on top of that. It's its moderately cold, I just wear the non-hooded sweatshirt and the fleece. Why the hooded sweatshirt if it's really cold? I can add another layer to my head and the back of my neck. I will also wear a fleece neck gaiter if it's really cold.

Outer layers - Wind proof/water proof bibs and jacket. I ONLY wear these in and out of my stand. I do not wear them while I am tracking deer because I don't want them to be torn to shreds tracking deer through the thick and nasty stuff.

Footwear - Lacrosse Alphy Burly's with wool socks. Take an extra pair of wool socks so you can switch them out if your feet sweat. Sweaty feet lead to cold feet, and cold feet will cause you to leave your stand.

Using this dress-up scheme I have been able to sit in -10 degree temperatures for about 2 hours, and higher temperatures for up to 6 hours.

Comment

Everyone is different, I would suggest going to a store, and just trying something out. I prefer to layer a couple hoodies under a carhart vest, if it is really cold I will throw on my carhart bibs depending on the distance I will be hiking. I have hunted with people that were not warm unless they were wearing a goose down parka. Find what works for you and run with it. If price is a concern, go to a stores sale, or bargain cave, (if you have one nearby). It is expensive but I have also had great luck with GameHyde clothing for when it is raining or really wet snow is coming down. But as with my boots, when it comes to being comfortable in the field I would suggest not being cheap and shelling out a few extra bucks to be warm and comfortalbe all day so you do not have to cut the hunt short, or end up in a really dangerous situation. Good luck, and stay warm.

Comment

I wear Artic Shield bibs and Parka. The only thing is that they are warm. I find for moderate temps you need very little underneath them to be confortable. I wear under armour underwear under them and sometimes when it is very cold a pair of regular hunting pants over the under armour. I have a windshear sweater that I wear under the parka when the weather is really nasty. For footwear I wear Cabelas Whitetail Extreme 1200 gram Thinsulate or Lacrossse Alpha Burley 1500 gram Thinsulate. With me hunting out of an enclosed blind I really don't need this type of clothing much anymore other than getting to my blind but when I braved the elements it really worked.

Comment

I use U/A underwera,Fleece Camo Cargo Pants,Fleece Camo jacket all by YUKON, its could be 14% in the Am, and 60% by noon...as for foot Gear Snake Boots by Rocky.
              We don't have long Winters..9-10 Days tops.

Comment

No one hunts in worse weather than this guy and I NEVER wear bibs. The problem with them is you can get overheated and opening up your coat won't help a bit. Sweats are a killer unless you live in pretty mild climates. You can freeze to death in that stuff if it gets wet and if you move around in it any amount at all you are going to get wet whether it's raining or not.

Go with a good duck hunting parka (not jacket) WITH A DRAWSTRING around the waist. The drawstring will keep the wind from running up your back and also trap your upper body heat when you need it. They look a lot niceer too. A light wool shirt works best for me. They wick away moisture and will keep you warm even if they do get wet. I use Carhart camo canvas cargo pants for milder conditions. Green wool logger pants over jeans if it's colder. I'll layer polar fleece rather than wear Carharts canvas stuff. It's way too noisy for tracking in heavy timber.

Comment

The price is steep but a pant and shirt long johns in merino wool, warm wicks water keeps you from smelling to bad natral scent killer.I bought the heavy weight set around thirty degrees i wear that and my long sleeve and camo pant over it and get hot if im moving around. i dont doubt that with lightweight windproof clothing this would be all you need to keep warm.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad