Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I found two nice, small chain saws. I don't know which is better; Stihl MS 180, 31.8cc, 14in. bar, and it's $200 new, a Husqvarn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found two nice, small chain saws. I don't know which is better; Stihl MS 180, 31.8cc, 14in. bar, and it's $200 new, a Husqvarn

I found two nice, small chain saws. I don't know which is better; Stihl MS 180, 31.8cc, 14in. bar, and it's $200 new, a Husqvarna 235, 34.4 cc, 16in. bar, and it's also $200. I am wondering if the differene in moter size will matter? Also which is better?

Husquvarna, and bigger is better, cc's and bar length that is.

Comment

Walt is right, you can't really go wrong with the bigger chainsaw, however I dont think you can go wrong with a Stihl. I have a Stihl Farmboss that's over 20 years old and it still runs like a champ. My Husqvarna is only 4 years old and it's given me a handful of problems. It could just be a lemon, but it could also be that Stihl is the best chainsaw you can get.

Comment

i think that they are both pretty good chainsaws but when i hold the husqvarna it just does not fell as good as the stihl, my dad has a stihl and it works really well but the husqvarna might be pretty good to so good luck!!!

Comment

Husquvarna all the way, you can't go wrong. with an orange saw.

Comment

I have 2 stihls and I had a husky. In my experience, the stihl's are a much better product. I have an 036 stihl from 1978. My dad heated our home entirely with wood cut from this say for 20 years so its seen some serious use. starts on first pull.

bigger definitely isn't better. The bigger the saw is the heavier its going to be. You can always change to a bigger bar on a saw; just because it comes with a 14 inch blade doesn't mean you can't go bigger.

Comment

The 2.6 extra CCs won't cut any faster. Get the Stihl. I find that you get more power out of the same displacement in Stihl saws. Just like you won't find a faster 3 liter V6 than the ones in BMWs. Germans know what they are doing.

Comment

Has anyone had any problems with a Stihl?

Comment

Yes, doing carb adjustments on a stihl is much harder than on a Husqvarna and Husqvarnas cut way better than a stihl.

Comment

I have a Stihl Farmboss that is 5 years old as well and LOVE it. My wife went out and bought it for me one Christmas after I used my father-in-laws Farmboss and came home raving about it. Never had a bit of problem out of it and neither has my father-in-law!

Comment

Bigger is usually always better. Your chain can make the biggest difference. A good sharp chain on a smaller saw can outcut a dull chain on a larger saw.

Comment

The shorter bar on the Stihl with cut better than the larger Husqvarna with the longer bar. Go Stihl.

Comment

Yes, keep a shorter chain and bar on the saw than a longer one. You will have more cutting power and a faster chain speed. Keep you chain very sharp and watch your chain tension. You will scorch your bar and ruin it if you get it too hot. Be sure and file the burs off the bar from time to time and alternate you bar from time to time to keep it wearing evenly. Just a little fyi in case you didn't know.

Comment

I had a stihl and loved it I had a big one, 26 inch bar and cut wood for money with it for about 2 years. Which was more use than most people will use one in a lifetime. I traded it to my brother in law about 5 years ago and he still uses it and loves it.

Comment

Go for the stihl, you will love it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad