Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am thinking about buying a chainsaw. I have looked at the Poulan pro 35cc and I like it. Is it a good saw or any other sugesti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am thinking about buying a chainsaw. I have looked at the Poulan pro 35cc and I like it. Is it a good saw or any other sugesti

I am thinking about buying a chainsaw. I have looked at the Poulan pro 35cc and I like it. Is it a good saw or any other sugestions under $200 that size.

I don't know the Poulans.
    But there are really only two kinds of saws, wingmaster, and they are Stihls and Huskies. They'll cost you more than the others, and they'll both be working strong years after that under $200 saw has weeds growing through the handle, in the blackberry patch where it was thrown in a fit of hopelessness.

Comment

I use a Stihl 1350 with a 18 inch bar and that works for me. My dad has had one since the early 80's and it still working.

Comment

I own a poulan and it worked great the first year i had it. Now its a pain in the neck to start and i have taken great care of it. It is an ok saw if you use it only a few times a year.I am going to upgrade to an echo asap!!

Comment

Good saw? $200? Sorry. Doesn't happen. Outdoordb is right. If you want a saw that works for longer than a few seasons if not just one, you need to go German or Scandinavian. Stihl beats Husqvarna. Echo is an acceptable substitute, but isn't as good as the aforementioned.

Comment

Everyone I know that owns stihls are doing more fixing than cutting. I own a Huskvarna 51 that I put a 18in bar on and it is the wood cuttingst saw I've ever ran. Unless your a lumberjack you don't need any thing larger.Remember that nice things aren't cheap and cheap things aren't nice.

Comment

My dad was a lumberjack for 7 years, he cut all over the southeast, as far west as Mo. and as far North as ME. Dad and I use only Husquvarna chainsaws exclusevly. Dad used a Poulan and a Homelite one time and they both broke the same day. They are a piece of junk. They don't idle at all, they have no cutting power and are just poor quality over all. Dad was trained by Husquvarna and really knows how to use one. A weekend warrior chainsaw would be a 55 rancher, If you are cutting through serious hardwood you will need something a little bigger around 65 to 75 cc.

Comment

Poulans are in no way a Stihl, Husqv or Echol but for general household use they are fine, I've had one for five yrs, a 16in. bar and it's fine around the house and with proper maintenance it still starts on second pull. But, if you want to feed a wood stove year after year get one of the others, but expect to do maintenance also.

Comment

I just saw a Husquvarna 16" bar in todays Quality Farm and Fleet (don't know if you have those where your from), for $199.99.

Comment

rabbitpolice 88,
                    I forgot all about a Homelite. But before you put them down remember, there was a time when they were cream of the crop.

Comment

I have a Poulan Wild Thing P4018WT 18 inch gas chain saw and love it. There’s better saws out there but I like it and I carry it all the time on my ATV since the last ice storm

Comment

Husquvarna have cheapened their product since they've hit the big box stores. I've used then for years until they started showing up at Lowes and Home Depot. Stihl has the best saw on the market in a variety of price ranges.

I would highly suggest a good pair of cutting pants also.

Comment

It's the difference on whether it's considered a "consumer quality" saw or not. My neighbor went through 2 Poulons before giving up. I had a small "Mac Cat" that worked for a year then went south.

I wanted a Husqvarna since I have one of their mowers that's worked for years like new, and a pretty bullet-proof weedwacker from them.

The only note was from a person I trust on tools of this sort. When I went to pick out my Husqvarna, I was told to make sure I got a real Swedish made one rather than a smaller licensed product.

So if you insist on a Poulon, I offer this... don't get one from Tiawan. Trust me on this.

Comment

My dad has a Stihl. It works great from falling trees and cutting brush.

Comment

I've got a 20" Poulan with a 54cc engine and have cut down many large oak trees with trunk diameters over 24". It has been a very good saw even under heavy use. I would buy another without a second thought.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                                Today, 04:39 PM
                              • Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                                Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by 99explorer
                                Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                                Today, 03:02 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by jhjimbo
                                They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                                Today, 02:39 PM
                              • Reply to Rest Easy
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                I am most pleased with the Barrett confirmation, now we only need to see the fallout from the D’s. With the reelection of Trump, probably not too much...
                                Today, 01:18 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X