Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you take extra ammo when hunting and why.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you take extra ammo when hunting and why.

How many of you take extra ammo when hunting and why.

Yes I always carry extra ammo and why not!

Comment

I always take 20 rounds of rifle ammo and 10 of handgun. Although I would not anticipate utilizing more than one or perhaps two cartridges with the rifle and none with the handgun there potentially exist exceptions to this routine. It is entirely possible that a horse could roll on my rifle or maybe my hunting partner might have this occur. A rifle might be inadvertantly be dropped down a mountainside or who knows what might happen. Nevertheless these factors plus I hunt in habitat which harbors a considerable population of aggressive grizzly bears which have a history of attacking humans and horses as well as an over population of Canadian gray wolves which will assault horses I tend to always carry a .44 mag. I don't concern myself with the mountain lions as the only ones I have seen immediately leave, I wonder about the cats that I don't see. Fortunately I have never had to defend myself although I know numerous people who have been in that position, some repeatedly. In reality were it not for hunting so far from a source of ammunition and the known fact that there will be encounters with carnivores which might be aggressive I would only carry enough rifle cartridges to fill my magazine and barrel, say 4 or 5 rounds.

Comment

If I am deer hunting locally (near home) I will take 5 extra rounds over what the magazine in my rifle holds. For upland game and a shotgun one 25 round box is usually more than enough.

On a road trip big game hunt I will take about 40 rounds of ammo for a rifle. This is just in case of some kind of foul up. I typically buy shotshells locally if hunting a long distance form home.

Comment

I always make sure I have plenty of ammo, esspecialy if I am traveling somewhere where it could be difficult ot get more.

Comment

I put 4 bullets in my magazine and have a bullet case for my belt that hold 10 more. I carry extra because just in case I miss I have plenty of others.

Comment

yes i always carry extra just in case another trophy was to pop out !!!

Comment

i do because if i shoot and miss then i have more so i can use it for back up of if some one else in my party needs it i can give it to them and yes we all use a 30-06.

Comment

I agree with Clay. Extra ammo, extra guns, extra flashlights.

Comment

I always take extra ammo just in case something bad happens.

Comment

For deer or other big game hunting with a rifle, I fill my rifle to capacity - 5 rounds. If I'm using my single shot shotgun, I bring 4 or 5 slugs. For bowhunting I have 2 broadheads and one field point. For Turkeys, I bring 5 shells. For small game, I bring as much ammo as I can/want to fit. There are some situations where I'll bring a lot more than the usual, though.

Comment

usually at least 20 rounds when big game hunting. Running out of bullets after the expense and time just to get in that situation would be dumb.

Comment

Excuse me for not missing shots...

Comment

I do carry a few extra rounds of rifle ammunition. If I have a sidearm, I carry two spare, loaded magazines of autoloading pistol ammunition in my pack.

Comment

yes i do..never know what could happen in the woods..worst case senario you may need to survive off that extra ammo

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad