Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knife sharpening...Is it bad for your knives to sharpen with a stone and water, as opposed to using a stone and oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knife sharpening...Is it bad for your knives to sharpen with a stone and water, as opposed to using a stone and oil?

Knife sharpening...Is it bad for your knives to sharpen with a stone and water, as opposed to using a stone and oil?

Old timers will tell you to use oil but its really not a good choice. Oil traps in dirt and shavings. Also makes the stone less abrasive and therefore less effective at sharpening. Use water to clean the stone after sharpening.

Comment

Japanese waterstones must be lubricated only with water, and never with oil, so I guess it depends on the type of stone.

Comment

You hit it 99. There are oil stones and water stones. Arkansas stones are oil stones. Carborundum stones are water stones. I ruined a very nice Norton carborundum stone by soaking it in oil! It would still work on my old Case and Schrade pocket knives, but I had to wash it in hot soapy water between knives!

Bubba

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
          by Danbo
          Fake news....
          Today, 09:16 PM
        • Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
          by FirstBubba
          Number 1 - the committee was SUPPOSED to be composed of 8 (D)'s and 5 (R)'s.
          Pelosi rejected three of the (R) members and filled the spots with...
          06-11-2022, 08:51 AM
        • What An Education
          by jhjimbo
          Anybody who watched Tucker Carlson tonight got a real education, on several fronts. What do you think?
          Today, 08:58 PM
        • Just Right
          by jhjimbo
          Has anyone tried the new .31 cal, 30Super Carry. just what the name implies the quintessential between the .30 and the infamous 9mmLuger. Two years in...
          Today, 08:56 PM
        • Reply to Just Right
          by 99explorer
          Do you have a link for that?
          I never heard of a cartridge developed for concealed carry.
          Today, 08:52 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X