Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After a trip down to the Gulf, I have a fair amount of rust on one of my SOG knives (even though I rinsed it after every outing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After a trip down to the Gulf, I have a fair amount of rust on one of my SOG knives (even though I rinsed it after every outing)

After a trip down to the Gulf, I have a fair amount of rust on one of my SOG knives (even though I rinsed it after every outing). Any suggestions as to the best way to remove the rust without jeopardizing the integrity of the steel?

There used to be a product called "Naval Jelly" that worked well. Don't know if it is still made.

Comment

I googeled and found it

Shopping results for naval jelly rust dissolver

Henkel 11936 16 oz Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver
      $4 - 24 stores
      Permatex 82138-6PK Naval Jelly Rust Remover Spray - 12 oz. Pack of 6
      $38 - 3 stores
      Henkel 1381191 NJ1 8oz N/J Rust Remover

Home Depot has it. ( Among many others I suspect.)

Comment

0000 steel wool and oil

Comment

I've often heard of naval jelly, but have never used it. Like chaslee, I suggest fine steel wool and a little oil with rust-inhibiting properties. Avoid sandpaper.

Comment

WD40
            fine steel wool
            elbow grease

Works every time.

If I know I'm going into a salt water environment, I will purchase one or two knives of low quality and sacrifice those rather than a really good blade.

Bubba

Comment

Baking soda, a little water and a tooth brush works well on my Mora. I've also used steel wool with good results.

Comment

Moishe---any product containing phosphoric acid will work---that's the active ingredient in Naval Jelly. Ospho and Phospo are liquids that will dissolve rust. It will still be necessary to use fine steel wool to bring back the shine.

Comment

Thanks country Road, I usually use a good oil(3in1)or Hoppes and steel wool, Rarely get rust as I clean immediately after use.

Comment

I use Scotch-Brite more than sreel wool because it does not leave any iron particles. The phosphoric acid will kill the rust like Country Road said but you still need to clean it with the Scotch-brie pads.

Comment

^steel wool*

Comment

many thanks - i'll pick up some naval jelly and something to scrub lightly with. i rinsed after use last time and then dried, but apparently that wasn't good enough. hopefully this will do the trick. thanks again.

Comment

wd40

Comment

I've heard that if the rusting is light, a chamois cloth and elbow grease will work, but I've never tried so don't quote me on it. Just curious, which Sog knife rusted? I ask because I tend to carry SOGs.

Comment

It's a Flash II that I purchased back in late 2009. Still sharp, but now has rust spots that need to be worked out.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Changing it yp
                                by jhjimbo
                                I vacuum seal ammo for long term storage. I also vacuum pack medical supplies in my Medic bag.....
                                Today, 06:13 PM
                              • Changing it yp
                                by Old_Sarge
                                During these last few years with Covid-19 pandemic and the surge in firearms sales we experienced a heck of an ammo shortage. I can’t speak for the...
                                06-23-2022, 10:54 PM
                              • Reply to Fuz Bug
                                by jhjimbo
                                I got this on my arm while on Lake Erie. No idea what caused it. The dark centers looked like blood. No pain, do feel of a bite, no itch. I am perplexed....
                                Today, 06:10 PM
                              • Fuz Bug
                                by jhjimbo
                                Does it work on other things - like ticks?

looks like the real thing

Fuze Bug.... Our Daily Finds (gadgetrevi...
                                06-23-2022, 10:14 AM
                              • Reply to Fuz Bug
                                by franchi20
                                I checked online reviews-it's not top of line and is meant for flying insects (mosquits) so, no on ticks unless they've gone airborne. Makes a nice nickname...
                                Today, 05:55 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X