Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just purchased a pair of Field and Stream Silent Tracker boots but there was no information with them regarding care of the bo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just purchased a pair of Field and Stream Silent Tracker boots but there was no information with them regarding care of the bo

I just purchased a pair of Field and Stream Silent Tracker boots but there was no information with them regarding care of the boots. Do I need to pretreat them and how do I care for them.

If they are leather boots with gore-tex liner you don't have to anything at first as they are already pre-conditioned. You may want to put a light coat of kiwi boot polish before you go out as this will repel water.

I just went through this myself and contacted gore-tex co. and the leather manufacturer of my boots and was told the following.

Avoid mink oil, pure silicone gel/liquids and thick wax products that will clog the pores of the leather and reduce the breathability of it. Avoid speed drying your boots over a high heat sources allowing them to air dry in room temp.

Simple kiwi will do the job of keeping the leather in good condition and allows a certain degree of water repellency. Remove the dirt/mud when you are done for the day as these tend to dry out the leather.

I keep an eye for where the polish has worn off and will touch it up with kiwi as needed, to keep the build up at a minimum.

At the end of the season of heavy use, I scrub my boots with saddle soap and following the directions of restoration, reapply a light coat of kiwi. Doing this at the end of the season allows the odor from the treatment to dissipate. Good luck, hope this helps

Comment

Thank you so much. This is very helpful information.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad