Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a first time Bow Hunter and will hopefully be getting my First bow this year. What are some suggestions for breaking in a n

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a first time Bow Hunter and will hopefully be getting my First bow this year. What are some suggestions for breaking in a n

I'm a first time Bow Hunter and will hopefully be getting my First bow this year. What are some suggestions for breaking in a new bow shooting wise.

Lots of practice! Once you get comfortable shooting, put yourself in different hypathetical hunting situations and shoot from different angles and distances.

Comment

When I started shooting I had a bad pattern of about 5in. After about a month I had to stop shooting as much, I was spliting nocks and hitting fletching. So just stick with it, get to the range, and hit the woods!

Comment

First, buy good arrows, rest, sight, etc! I spent more on that stuff than the bow itself and have never regretted it. Crappy equipment yields poor results especially in archery. You can expect to pay upwards of $100.00 for a dozen arrows. They are worth it! Try not to cry when the first one gets lost or broken. It will make it much easier to take when the second and third disappear.
        Second, have it set up correctly by a reputable archery shop so you can be pretty confident that equipment issues are not causing you to shoot poorly.
        Third, do not try to shoot to0 much draw weight to start. You have plenty of time before hunting season. Have it set to a weight that you can draw relatively easily so you can learn good form before starting to crank it up.
        Fourth, practice, practice, practice. Do not forget to practice outdoors, in low light, in the wind and from elevated platforms or your stand if possible.
        Enjoy! It is so much fun and most everyone you meet at archery ranges or shops will be friendly and willing to help. You will encounter a lot of different opinions! Try lots of different techniques and use what works for you.

Comment

Make sure your bow is properly tuned before you start practicing.

Comment

http://www.3dshoots.com/ This website has a locater for all 3d shoots nationwide. It is great fun and the best form of practice. My daughter and I go to them all summer. Check it out just click on "Find Shoots" at the top.
            Chuckles is right about equipment and pro-shops. I use Maxima hunter arrows and they are awesome. They cost more but I don't lose or break as many as with my old arrows (Easton Axis). In the end that makes them less expensive. Using a practice target that has multiple bullseyes and shooting only 1 arrow at each bull will save you some money also.

Comment

Start slow and have patience with yourself. Learn proper shooting form and technique. Practice the right things so that you develop good repeatable habits. That way, when that buck, doe or turkey comes within range the shot will be almost automatic.

Comment

I agreed with MLH answer!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Copper bullets
                            by DakotaMan
                            The optimum bullet/cartridge for elk depends on the range you will shoot. In general, mono-metal bullets lose their expansion at velocities below 2000...
                            Today, 06:24 PM
                          • Copper bullets
                            by Brad P
                            So I’m sure it’s been asked already, but I haven’t found the answer I was looking for. With the newer solid copper bullets that are being made theses...
                            11-05-2020, 11:48 AM
                          • Reply to Voter Fraud
                            by 99explorer
                            There are two possibilities in play here.
                            One is that hundreds of thousands of election officials across the country and the entire judicial system
                            Today, 06:24 PM
                          • Voter Fraud
                            by bowhunter75richard
                            For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
                            11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
                          • Reply to What's on your belt?
                            by 99explorer
                            Don't tell us.
                            You has to use the knife to finish off the sow.
                            The thrill of the kill!
                            Today, 06:11 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X