Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I might buy a new hunting knife this year. After using a friend of mines gut hook blade to skin my buck I'm leaning towards buyi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I might buy a new hunting knife this year. After using a friend of mines gut hook blade to skin my buck I'm leaning towards buyi

I might buy a new hunting knife this year. After using a friend of mines gut hook blade to skin my buck I'm leaning towards buying one of those. Are there any drawbacks to those blades and can someone recommend one for under $50?

Don't do it! Gut hooks get dull and are very hard to sharpen! I usually just grab a fist full of the belly fur and pull as I slice down from the ribs to the pelvis. It's faster and cleaner that way. But, if you really want a knife with a gut hook, try the Buck Alpha out, nice knife gut hook or not...

Comment

I have the buck alpha without the gut hook, its at your price range.

Comment

Gerber Gator.

Comment

I like gut hooks, but not on the same blade as my knife. - too bulky and get in the way. I do have a folding Gerber Gator with a gut hook blade. It is a fine knife for a decent price, but it hasn't been used in years because of the gut hook. Sits in my vehicle in case I have an accident and need to cut the seat belt loose.

Still looking for the perfect standalone guthook. Wyoming knife and Gerber's version of it are too big for my taste.

Comment

MLH: Try Cabela's PBS folding knife, if you need some kind of guthook, it is actually attached to the sawblade, and you get a regular spear point blade. It looks compact and durable, about %70-$90.

Comment

Rezavoirdog - good suggestion, but I looked at the S30V version before. I've converted back to fixed blade hunting knives. Just so much easier to clean. I want a flat compact gut hook with a flat sheath I can carry in my pocket or pack. Gerber makes one but it only come in a set. Benchmade makes something close for seat belts -

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=5

- but it only has a single finger hole. Needs a little more control. I sent a suggestion to them but suspect "not invented here" syndrome. Might have a machinist friend make one for me.

Comment

I like a Wyoming skinner. Its got a tee handle and a gut hook with a flat blade. Its very flexible and will cut through ribs.

Comment

Gut hooks are OK but not necessary plus sometimes get in the way when performing the tedious portion of gutting or skinning. I prefer not having one since the method rezavoirdog described works just fine. I once saw a guy unzip the deer belly with his guthook and his other hand at the same time with the blade side of the knife. I telling you guys to be careful with those sharp blades. I sharpened a Columbia River for my son two weeks ago. He has always watched me shave hair from my arms when I am finished with any knife sharpening job. He is a teenager so his brain is not fully developed. He was walking into his bedroom performing the arm hair test, tripped on a throwrug, and sunk the knife all the way to the bone on top of his arm about halfway between the wrist and elbow. A trip to the ER required nine stitches from the ER doc. My hunting buddy surgeon checked the kid's arm a few days later and remarked that somehow the radial nerve was not severed but we can't grasp why it was not injured. This all happened in seconds and produced a lot of blood, a painful experience, and a hospital bill of about $1200.00. BE CAREFUL WITH THOSE SHARP KNIVES AS YOU CAN'T UNCUT YOURSELF.

Comment

Damn Ish sorry to hear that a dog stapler cost about 40 bucks! Glad to hear he's alright though. When you coming to AR to hunt???

Comment

buck sells a thin skinning model with a lowprofile gut hook that i almost picked up at the store yesterday for $45

Comment

I agreed with rezavoirdog answer!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The Horse Race
                                by crm3006
                                BH75R: " Is there anything that turkey will not believe from yahoo ?"

I don't think there is a lie outrageous enough that the bandicoot...
                                Today, 12:58 PM
                              • The Horse Race
                                by rock rat
                                There are lots of things making this a hard race to predict. Pollsters do their thing and mostly they show Biden up over where Clinton was at this time...
                                Yesterday, 09:43 AM
                              • Reply to How Do They
                                by crm3006
                                jhjimbo- If you go to your profile and then to account, you can put them on the ignore list and you won't see their posts. I have 27 "bots"...
                                Today, 12:46 PM
                              • How Do They
                                by jhjimbo
                                How do the spammers enter spam so fast - today, at 3AM they entered every minute of the SAME thing. I tried to counter this AM and the site would not...
                                Today, 09:31 AM
                              • Reply to How Do They
                                by FirstBubba
                                "bots" jimbo!
                                "bots" is short for "robots".

It's a programming thingie....
                                Today, 12:40 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...