Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have to use a certain type of wood when making a box call?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    I agreed with Beekeeper answer!

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    Sitka Spruce is good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    Wall,

Box calls have been made from all sorts of woods. But, as Neil Cost the famous box call builder said, "Soft, sticky woods are best." What Mr. Cost ment was that a wood needed to be soft enough to provide friction and vibrate but hard enough to carry the tone. Lids on box calls are usually made from harder woods like Walnut or Cherry.

Good examples of this type wood are: Yellow Poplar, Butternut, Red Cedar, willow, Alaska Yellow Cedar, Spanish Cedar, Mahagony, Bald Cypress and Sitka Spruce. The famous Lynch's Fool Proof has been made of Mahagony and Spanish Cedar and also for a short time from Tangerine Wood!

Leave a comment:

• BuckTheSystem
    replied
    To make a turkey call, you need very dry woodwith tight grain that gives the call its tone (ie: maple, walnut, cherry, mahogany, poplar, and basswood).
    Use tight-grained, thoroughly dry wood. Different combinations of woods produce different sounds. Experiment until you get a tone that works for you. If you want to use cedar sides, buy cedar-closet paneling.

I used this web site for the info http://www.customcalls.com/makeaturkeyboxcall.htm

Leave a comment:

• Do you have to use a certain type of wood when making a box call?

Do you have to use a certain type of wood when making a box call?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad