Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have to use a certain type of wood when making a box call?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have to use a certain type of wood when making a box call?

Do you have to use a certain type of wood when making a box call?

To make a turkey call, you need very dry woodwith tight grain that gives the call its tone (ie: maple, walnut, cherry, mahogany, poplar, and basswood).
    Use tight-grained, thoroughly dry wood. Different combinations of woods produce different sounds. Experiment until you get a tone that works for you. If you want to use cedar sides, buy cedar-closet paneling.

I used this web site for the info http://www.customcalls.com/makeaturkeyboxcall.htm

Comment

Wall,

Box calls have been made from all sorts of woods. But, as Neil Cost the famous box call builder said, "Soft, sticky woods are best." What Mr. Cost ment was that a wood needed to be soft enough to provide friction and vibrate but hard enough to carry the tone. Lids on box calls are usually made from harder woods like Walnut or Cherry.

Good examples of this type wood are: Yellow Poplar, Butternut, Red Cedar, willow, Alaska Yellow Cedar, Spanish Cedar, Mahagony, Bald Cypress and Sitka Spruce. The famous Lynch's Fool Proof has been made of Mahagony and Spanish Cedar and also for a short time from Tangerine Wood!

Comment

Sitka Spruce is good stuff.

Comment

I agreed with Beekeeper answer!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The George Floyd case.
                      by crm3006
                      My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                      Yesterday, 11:24 PM
                    • The George Floyd case.
                      by FirstBubba
                      Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                      Minnesota...
                      Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                    • Masks
                      by crm3006
                      Here ya go, boys and girls. I'm not much in favor of posting links, but this one is both thought provoking and hilarious! ...
                      Yesterday, 11:17 PM
                      by FirstBubba
                      Ellison is Keith Ellison. Once a Rep from MN. He is also a Muslim.
                      He gave up his House seat to run for MN AG. That will set him up to run for...
                      Yesterday, 11:15 PM
                      by crm3006
                      She is one of those soros backed DAs, and being inexperienced, way overcharged the officer for the offence. A local talk radio show host, who has two...
                      Yesterday, 11:04 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X