Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not too educated with scopes. So what's with the scopes that have the three adjustment caps, on the top, left, and right sid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not too educated with scopes. So what's with the scopes that have the three adjustment caps, on the top, left, and right sid

I'm not too educated with scopes. So what's with the scopes that have the three adjustment caps, on the top, left, and right side of the scope in the middle. I know what they are on a regular scope, they're for adjusting your scope reticle. of course. but what's with the 3 caps, and why are they so big and tall? Also, what's the advantage of a 4-12x50 rather than a 3-9x50?

First, the difference between a 3-9x50 and 4-12x50 is magnification. The first two numbers represent the magnification range for that scope. The 3-9 will magnify the image 3x at the lowest setting and 9x at the highest. Likewise, the 4-12 is adjustable from 4x up to 12x. 3-9 is probably the most popular power for a big game scope used at average ranges. It is plenty for deer-sized game out to 300 yards. The 4-12 is kind of an inbetween, call it a high magnification big scope, or a low magnification varmint scope.

FYI, the 50 in both scope refers to the size of the objective (front) lense in millimeters. The larger the lense, the more light it gathers and the brighter the image will be. This can be very helpful in low light.

The third adjustment on some scopes is for paralax. Put very simply, it is a focus and usually only becomes a factor at long range. I would suggest looking up paralax in google or wikipedia for an in-depth discussion.

Many "target" scopes have taller adjustment knobs or turrets so that they can be easily adjusted. These scopes are designed for the shooter that adjusts his point of impact for each shot, rather than holding over or using "Kentucky windage" as many hunters do. If you are, or want to be, this type of shooter, they are nice to have. If you plan to get your scope zeroed and go hunting, they just get in the way.

Comment

thanks. btw i am familiar enough with scopes to know what 3-9x50 means haha but thanks. you explained it well. your comment helped me alot.

Comment

The lower your scope is relative to the rifle, the better, so don't get a 50mm objective scope. You will be forced to get higher profile rings. You won't be able to see noticeably better in low light with the 50. Get a 40mm scope.

Comment

Good answer from Greenhead... Remember the focus adjustment that many older high power scopes had on the front lens that had yardages on it like 25, 50, 100, etc.? Modern tactical scopes have put that paralax adjustment on the side turret so you can adjust it easier while you are looking through the scope. You turn it until the target comes into the best focus and you have adjusted the scope for paralax. By the way, I humbly disagree with shane. For hunting, I believe there is a distinct advantage to the better light gathering of a bigger objective lens and a bigger tube (e.g. a 30MM versus 1 inch). I believe that I pick up about a half an hour of productive hunting with better light efficiency. I onced passed on a shot at the biggest buck I ever drew a bead on because it was sunset and I just could not see him in the scope. I could see him fine with the naked eye but I just couldn't pick him up in the scope. With my 50MM objective, I actually see more through the scope than with the naked eye. If I had today's scope at that time, I would have a real trophy hanging on the wall. I agree with shane that higher profile means new rings and even a trade off in accuracy with rifle cant but in hunting situations, I will take the buck. Of course, if you don't hit the field until 10:00 AM and are gone by noon, this won't help you a bit.

Comment

Get a 40mm scope!

Comment

Get a 40mm scope!

Comment

Get a 40mm scope!

Comment

Get a 40mm scope!

Comment

Get a 40mm scope!

Comment

Get a 40mm scope!

Comment

Get a 40mm scope!

Comment

Get a 40mm scope!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad