Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I've always only used spinning rods in freshwater but from seeing every pro using a baitcaster I think I've finally been suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I've always only used spinning rods in freshwater but from seeing every pro using a baitcaster I think I've finally been suck

So I've always only used spinning rods in freshwater but from seeing every pro using a baitcaster I think I've finally been suckered into getting one but I'm worried about getting the right one. Anyone have any recommendations for a good baitcaster combo at a reasonable price? Don't want to spend too much just in case its not for me.

i bought 5500 at walmart[abu garcia]60.00, real nice and smooth but it isnt or me.

Comment

Think about it first ... do you just want to enjoy the experience?
      What type of fishin' will you be using it for?
      Do you fish competitvely?

I'll bet Rocky will cut that Abu Garcia loose, for a good price!
      Ain't nothin' wrong with the Abu's ... that's all my buddy owns!

Think 'bout it first ... if you have to have one consider a combo, "Ricky Clunn," from Bass Pro.
      The price is right, for the rod and reel,if you catch 'em on sale.

Comment

The pros also use 60 pound test. Do you need that too?

Comment

there are a bunch of good baitcaster reels at bass pro shops. i was just there this past weekend looking at them. i think there price range was between around 40 bucks to well over 160. but you get what you pay for. i personally have only used a bait caster a couple to times. and just a little advice if you have never used one take it easy on that first couple of casts until you get the hang of it or you will have alot of fun trying to untangle the rats nest that you will get.

Comment

If you are just looking for another rod and reel why not try a baitcaster? Casting a baitcaster is another fishing skill that is worth learning (have patience). Baitcasters can also make it easier to get lures into tricky spots. Bass Pro is a good choice, as is Cabela's. Their store brands offer good value.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys, but a quick follow up question; Is there a better type of drag system to use as a baitcaster virgin?

Comment

Check this link out LIFishFinder ...

http://www.fishingonly.com/fishing-gear/what-to-look-for-when-selecting-a-fishing-reel.php

Let us know what you decide on!

Comment

i must admit that i do have a bait caster but i rarely use it where i fish and don't find it worth the money I'd rather get three different spinning rod and reel combos of different size and line strength.

Comment

i had same problem,bought one for something diff and it wasnt for me, backlash to much,i liked the feel of baitcaster but decided to back to what wrks for me. the abu garcia 5500 at walmart is nice and a desent price

Comment

baitcasters are nice but for just starting out i would go cheap probably one already spooled with line and what not from what i've seen either people love or hate baitcasters and just a note make sure you have the reel adjusted for current conditions nothing is worse than having to respool because the backlash was to bad to pick out especially with new line already on the reel

Comment

I've found that BassPro Shops makes good baitcasting rod and reel combos. They are fairly cheap but are still quality items. I bought an Extreme reel that came with one of their graphite model rods a few years back and am still using it.

Comment

Good Link 2Poppa!

Comment

Good Link 2Poppa!

Comment

Good Link 2Poppa!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad