Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best knife to use for hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corelok
    replied
    Personaly I prefer a fixed blade whether it be for skinning or utility. Also carbon steel over S/S.

Leave a comment:

• Keith Costley
    replied
    It all depends on what you are using the knife for; however, the best knife is the one that you have the most confidence in using. Ask 150 hunters what the best knife is and you will probably get 150 opinions.

Leave a comment:

• Sourdough Dave
    replied
    Well I've finished the knife described above and as promised the pic is posted on my profile

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    I prefer a fixed blade for field dressing because it has a sharp point and enough strength/leverage to cut through breast bone and pelvis if necessary. I use a Buck for that. I prefer an easy to manipulate knife that stays razor SHARP for skinning and trimming. I use an Old Timer 4 1/2" folding blade for that. It is easy to pack and I just haven't found anything that holds an edge that long. I could probably skin a dozen deer before needing to hone it although I usually run it over a steel every 10 minutes of so. They are hard to find anymore since they are no longer manufactured.

Leave a comment:

• rocky d bashaw
    replied
    that varies for each person,i like fixed blade knives with carbon steal blades.use what works best for you,try diff knives.

Leave a comment:

• Hobob
    replied
    I like the Buck#(119?) sheath knife or a kershaw folding knife. The pendelton lite hunter I bought as per this websites advice is perfect too for most everything

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    Down here the boys like walking around with belt knivs
    most are K-Bars some Bucks,its a southern thing!
    my every day knife is a Case-XX folder single blade!

Leave a comment:

• WVOtter
    replied
    I've downsized over the years, from "larger" fixed blades to a Case XX folding hunter pattern. My dad also just gave me a Buck folder (not sure of pattern) that has only has about a 3" blade w/ gut hook and small saw blade on opposite side. That worked very well on my doe this year. Of course, I still like to carry a fixed blade in the "always be prepared" philosophy, I just rarely use it.

Leave a comment:

• .300winmag
    replied
    I have a nice fixed blade (about 5.5inch) Schrade RMEF edition that holds its edge and splits a deers ribcage like butter for easy gutting.

Leave a comment:

replied
    I like a heavy fixed blade (Buck Vanguard) that will split a deer pelvis or bear joints.

Leave a comment:

• 870 wingmaster 101
    replied
    A sharp one!

Leave a comment:

• DSMbirddog
    replied
    I like a drop point knife with a 3.5 to 4.5 inch blade. I also like carbon steel. I did recently buy a Cold Steel Pendleton Lite Hunter with a stainless blade. It seems like it will be a good knife.

Leave a comment:

• deerhunterrick
    replied
    I'm a little different , I like L-6,A-1 or BG34 for a blade. 4.5" or 5" seems to be good length though. But depending on what I want to use it for in the field too. I am pretty partial to the Drop point so I can push instead of pull when cutting. Any high carbon stainless works,just harder to sharpen if you let them dull.

Leave a comment:

• FlHuntress
    replied
    I ment cutting or killing it, sorry

Leave a comment:

• FlHuntress
    replied
    A Sharp One LOL, When you say hunting do you mean, Jumping on its back and cutting killing it or are you talking about one to prepare your animal for packing it out? I have used a Puma for most of my life, and it has never let me down.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad