Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camouflage.Is it overatted or a necessary edge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camouflage.Is it overatted or a necessary edge?

Camouflage.Is it overatted or a necessary edge?

To be perfectly honest, in my experience as long as you wear typical earth colors you'll be fine. I took a deer this year wearing brown pants and a Carhart that was dark grey. When hunting in a treestand especially I would say dark brown or something similar would almost outdo some of the best camo out there, for an example the earliest hunters in America didn't have camo, and they probably killed more deer than most of us will see in the4 bigger part of our lives. Good luck to you.

Comment

If your hunting turkeys yes it is a necessity and bowhunting it will give you and edge. But during rifle season i dont always wear it its more of a personal preference.

Comment

It depends on what you are hunting but in general it helps to keep you out of sight. Coyotes and migratory water fowl are real sight sensitive. Deer typically won't see you unless you move but camo even helps there too, especially for archery hunting. I figure if you have to wear clothes anyway, they might as well be camo. It sure doesn't hurt in any situation (except perhaps church). The old timers got plenty of game in jeans and a dark sweatshirt but camo is generally even better. If you can't affort a full camo outfit, a coat and hat cover a lot of ground.

Comment

I think camo is somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. Some camo patterns appear to be dark solid colors from a distance. Subdued solid colors are just as good as camo in most cases.
          There are colors to be avoided, however. Outer garments of solid white or very light colors stand out in a dark forest setting, except in snow-covered areas.

Comment

IMHO~~ Camo is good! But lately its be come a "FASHION
            SHOE" in Town some of thes Old Boys Have the Latest
            and Greates in CAMO Gear just to imprest the little
            DIXIE BELLS at the BARN Dances. I hunt in Camo shirt and a Old Pare of Green Army wipecord pants.(Old School)

Comment

I use an old pair of bdu's cheaper and last longer, still have my 2nd ACR and 1st Cav Patches on em.

Comment

any random 2 tone color pattern will work what did your grandpappy were out to the woods each fall, if he was like mine he wore a wool red and black checkered coat. It would be safe to say more game animals have fallen to savvy hunters in non camo clothing than will likely ever be taken mossy oak or real tree appearl. $0.2

Comment

I know someone who wears camo underwear, just in case! You never can tell when that might come in handy.

Comment

I hear they have now come out with rolls of camo toilet paper. Just the thing for my friend in the camo underwear.

Comment

For close range hunting like bowhunting or turkey hunting, camo is great. Otherwise, any neutral colors are fine for deer, just be still.

Comment

camo helps but the way the price keeps going up im not shure its worth it

Comment

I don't turkey hunt so I can't comment but I will tell you, without exception, you need full camo to be a long time successful coyote hunter. They see everything. Camo, in my opinion, is unnecessary for deer hunting. I wear wool shirt and dark wool pants with the necessary" blaze orange". Deer seem to be more alarmed by movement than colors.

Comment

If you hunt things like coyote and turkey camo is a must. I take that back, unless you hunt from a blind or behind a bush, camo is a must. Personally I don't like being stuck in the blind or bushes so I say camo is a good idea. If you are hunting dear or other big game color doesn't matter as much as not not moving does. Unless your archery hunting and want to get them in closer.

Comment

I think that anything that breaks up the human pattern couldn't hurt.

I do think that that camo boots, gloves, sunglasses (yep, seen 'em), binoculars, and the like are just marketing.

I have an orange-pattern camo jacket I bought in the '80s I still use over a German surplus wool uniform.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad