Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I may be off base here, but does anybody else find see through scope mounts hideous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I may be off base here, but does anybody else find see through scope mounts hideous?

I may be off base here, but does anybody else find see through scope mounts hideous?

I have see through scope mounts on a .30-'06, 8 m/m Mauser, and a .22LR. I find them to be very useful in certain situations, and have never had a problem with them. Properly mounted and torqued, the Ironsighter® and some others work just as well as solid mounts, which I also use on rifles without iron sights.

Comment

I agree that they're ugly. I think they don't make any sense - on a gun that you might want to use iron sights you also want the scope mounted low as possible.

I have a flop over mount on a Remington 600 .308. I think this is a better option. I don't like it much, but it's been on there since '70 or so, and it came in handy when the weather was nasty in VT. Yes, it holds its zero when you flop the scope over and back.

With that odd exception I say just use irons only or use a low powered scope.

Comment

I have always hated the see-thru mounts(maybe because I don't have a neck) but they were very popular in my gun shop. I sold as many Kwik-Sight see-thru as I did Weaver or Redfield regular mounts.

Comment

My Buddie had a rifle with them on it . I could never understand how he could tolerate those rings .

Comment

I would not go so far as to call them hideous, but they do detract from the sleek lines of a rifle by traditional standards.
            The new black gun styling, with its Mattel Toy look, however, would not suffer much by the addition of see-through mounts.

Comment

They were on an old Rem 760 when I bought it. Actually worked just fine for the woods - kinda hated to take them off.

Comment

never seen them... lol kidding I think it almost makes the gun less mobile placing the scope up higher and ist harder than hell getting a deer in the iron sights with them on anyway...

Comment

I would never use them on a high power rifle for big game hunting. I do have them on a .22 rimfire that has a 4x El Paso Weaver on it zeroed for 50 yards with subsonic .22 long rifle. Iron sights for close in varmint (like possums, skunks, and rats) work. I never hunt with it. It is for pests around the place where the shots are generally 40-50 yards or much closer.

Comment

WAM-
                    That old Ironsighter on my Old Ugly .30-'06 has accounted for over 30 deer and two elk. Pretty is as pretty does!
                    crm

Comment

I don't think they are as nice looking as normal scope mounts and I personally have never had a need for them. My close range rifles wear quickly detachable scope rings and low power scopes. I've never needed both scope and iron sights at the same time. I leave my scope on 2x for really close work and I take the scope off if the situation is both close and dangerous.

Comment

I had them my Marlin 30-30, and they served their purpose. They're fugly, but fugly filled the freezer.

Comment

I have the Leupolds on mine. They have a nice square hole that some may say look ugly, but I'm fine with that. They work.

Comment

If a rifle dosen't already have no sights on it as soon as I get it my gunsmith removes the sights. Use one or the other. I think they are ugly. Of course I don't have to use them or look at them so to each his own. One other observation that I noticed when dealing with them was the height that they set the scope above the bore of the rifle. It seemed to set the scope way to high above the bore.

Comment

I have them on my .308 and I love them. In the areas I hunt I face a wide variety of terrain and in any given moment I could be faced with a 300 yd shot at a grazing mulie or a 30yd shot at a jogging elk. Also one year I had my scope get knocked off of zero on the atv ride in and the iron sights worked as a great backup when I took a buck later that day.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad