Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are climbing treestands hard and dangerous to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are climbing treestands hard and dangerous to use?

Are climbing treestands hard and dangerous to use?

I just got my first climbing stand this season. Its a cheaper one and its a little time consuming to get ready but, using a safety harness I feel safer than climbing on to a hanging stand.

Comment

Climbing treestands are as dangerous as you want them to be. Follow the safety rules and you should be fine.

I suggest practice before heading to the woods.

Comment

Be sure to attach the safety harness high enough on the tree behind you that if you should fall, you would be able to climb back into your stand.
        Hunters have fallen and found themselves dangling below their stands unable to reach either the ground or their stands.

Comment

Climbed ladders and hooked poles my whole life. Generally you get hurt coming down not climbing up, that when you run out of steam so belt in.

Comment

I find ladder stands are safer then a tree climer
            but safty comes first on a ladder stand you don't
            have to go 15"up, I have some at 8"2man,know your limits.

Comment

I got my climber 3 years ago, and I watched the video's that came with it and read the inst. and talked with friends. BUT.....
              The first time I used it was hunting,(not to smart) let me tell you I was a dripping sweat soaked, wheezing, jello mold.
              I couldn't have shot the world record if it bedded down 10yds in front of me for a half hour to an hour.
              I had to climb up and down twice to get it level, so practice before you hunt with one.
              My stand is a Summit (I think Razer) hand climber, I didn't want the shooting bar because I mainly Bow Hunt, and I thought it would just be in the way.
              But after about three hunts it was no big deal anymore. And the next year I went to the gym and got on the dip rack did dips and hung and pulled my knees up to my chest before season and I climbed like a squirrel. As far as safe, use you safety equipment and your great.
              My stand feels more solid then a ladder, and you can set up anywhere there is a good tree.

Comment

Climbers are a lot more work than a permanent stand but they are still a great choice if you can't leave a permanent stand out for some reason. Also if you are new to an area or just hunting the area for a day or so, they are very portable. I use them quite a bit. You do have to be much more careful with them than you would a ladder stand. One little slip and you could go sliding down the tree. They are pretty good for use on pine trees that have consistent trunks and few limbs on the lower 25 feet.

Comment

Climbers are a lot more work than a permanent stand but they are still a great choice if you can't leave a permanent stand out for some reason. Also if you are new to an area or just hunting the area for a day or so, they are very portable. I use them quite a bit. You do have to be much more careful with them than you would a ladder stand. One little slip and you could go sliding down the tree. They are pretty good for use on pine trees that have consistent trunks and few limbs on the lower 25 feet.

Comment

They can be both. practice and double check all connections and safety measures. They're a great tool

Comment

Yes they are dangerous if you get overconfident or sloppy. They are also very good for hunting out of and I love mine. However it requires a lot of concentration on my part to not rush and take my time getting up.

Comment

I have two i pulled mine out of the box read directions and climbed the tree in my front yard all in about 20 minutes i also made a prussic knot life line for my harness makes climbing really easy. Climbers are a pretty valuble tool. The hardest thing with it is finding a striat tree with cover. I usully look for a tree with a crotch in it to bring the base of the stand to then put the chair above it.

Comment

climbing in a tree stand is not hard and if you know how to use a tree stand they are not dangerous

Comment

All tree stands are dangerous, you just have to be careful and wear the right safety harnesses.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad