Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best distance to practice shooting a compound bow. Should i invest in a sight or just shoot instinct, and what kind, for under

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best distance to practice shooting a compound bow. Should i invest in a sight or just shoot instinct, and what kind, for under

Best distance to practice shooting a compound bow. Should i invest in a sight or just shoot instinct, and what kind, for under 50 dollars?

I would say the best distabce to practice with a compound would be 20 yards. As for the sight I would go with the TruGlo Brite-Site Xtreme ($35) or Tru-Site Xtreme ($50.)

Comment

Invest in a sight, as it helps and aids you in becoming consistent, whether you are target practicing or hunting.

Comment

2 days ago I bought a 3 pin Tru Glo Brite-Site Xtreme for my bow. It was $25 at Gander Mountain. Best 25 dollars I ever spent. Its great buy one, you will be pleased.

Comment

agerr with love to hunt

Comment

You spend 50 bucks for a tank of gas just to go hunt and you miss that big one, so how oxymoron is that! Go to a reputable archery shop, get your bow tuned with proper sights etc and have everything fitted to you. You will be glad you did!!!

Comment

I agree with Clay Cooper, go to a shop and have them set you up. Also there is no one set distance you should only practice at. You should practice from 10 yards up to 50 yards. If you can get good at a 50 yard shot(I would not shoot at a deer at that distance, but thats just me personally), but if you are good out to 50, a 30 yard shot on a big buck will seem much easier.

Comment

Don't try to shoot instinct with a compound. Those things are finicky and hate when you try to go old-school on them, like shooting fingers or without sights. Byron Ferguson's philosophies are pretty much given the finger by most compounds, unfortunately.

Comment

Get a sight, can't tell you what kind. U should practice mostly at 20 or 25 yds, depending on how fast and flat the bow shoots, and your intended range.

Comment

Buy a sight, and practice at about 20 to 30 yards.

Comment

Repeated shooting without finger protection can lead to nerve damage!

Listen, get the darn thing tuned and setup right! Then tell us about the big one you got, not the one that got away after you spend all those bucks getting there!!!

I get so irritated at hunters that skimp on equipment that cost less than there hunt and come home empty handed blaming the equipment!!!

Comment

I got about $800 in my bow and glad I did it!

Comment

One more thing

The beautiful thing I love about my bow and equipment, I wouldn’t give it a second thought using it in a rifle hunt as a backup weapon or the ability to go into a archery only zone!

Speaking of a archery only zone, the best time to go is during firearms season!!

Comment

KMB33,
                            Try this. It's a good time of year to learn to shoot your bow without a sight. Learn how to set the bow against your face and sight down the arrow. Learn to use both eyes and the view of your bow at few draw. Learn the trajectory of your arrow by shooting shots at all different UNKNOWN distances. Shoot up and down.

When you get proficient put a sight on. Use the sight as the last reference when shooting. What you just did was learn how to shoot and then learned how to use the sight. Too many people do it backwards.

Comment

get a sword sight, they are about $70 on ebay for a new one, but they are well worth it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                                by jhjimbo
                                What kind of powder was your friend using and didn't he ever clean it ?...
                                Today, 01:16 PM
                              • Another New Upper
                                by DakotaMan
                                Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                                Today, 12:54 PM
                              • Reply to Another New Upper
                                by FirstBubba
                                Smooth lookin' AR D'Man!
                                Let us know how it shoots. 😃!
                                Today, 01:12 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                I have the mad canadian blocked, all I know is he should get an apt. with a Psychiatrist.
                                He should get a life, shooting geese and pheasant do not...
                                Today, 01:11 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X