Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a boyscout and next summer I am going to Philmont scout ranch which is ten days of backpacking in new mexico and I need a go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bobbyirwin81
    replied
    i have a trail tech internal frame pack that is 5,300 cu. in. this pack is very reliable. its waterproof, rugged, and holds alot of gear i paid about 125 bucks at a local sporting goods store

Leave a comment:

• big24hunter
    replied
    No I'm not positive, but with birthday money I went out and bought an Osprey Aether 85, it was pricey but it will hold on for a long time, and the lifetime warranty is a plus if it doesn't last for a long time, thanks everybody that commented, I can't wait till next July when I leave

Leave a comment:

• sterndixon
    replied
    I went to Philmont twice recently. My son went two years ago and he carries a Kelty Red Cloud internal frame pack. You will want something that is big so you carry your share of food and not have to stuff everything quite as tight or hang it off the back. The Red Cloud has some nice outside access. I think I paid less than $100 for it. Just be sure to get a pack that fits. A big internal frame may be too much if you're shorter than say, 5.6. He's 6 ft. and that pack will last him the next 30 years. The only issue I saw when I took boys to Philmont was guys who bought packs that were okay for a two nighter, but not sufficient for a 10-day trek. Know what trek you're doing?

Leave a comment:

• big24hunter
    replied
    Thanks, its great to see so many ex-scouts; and it wasn't easy to get the opportunity

Leave a comment:

• seadog
    replied
    Congrats on your opportunity to go to Philmont. I wanted to go when I was a Scout (nearly 40 years ago) but I never got the chance. Don't forget to break in your boots and have fun.

Leave a comment:

• whitetailfreek
    replied
    I would also recommend Kelty. They make great packs.

Leave a comment:

• 99explorer
    replied
    I would go with G.I. surplus for sake of economy. You are just so lucky to be going to Philmont. When I was a scout, I never knew anyone who could afford to go. Your choice of a backpack is not the most important decision you will have to make.

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    eberlestock makes a very fine backpack and if you can find one used that fits your budget you would be wise to purchase.

Leave a comment:

• Greenhead
    replied
    I carry a Kelty that was fairly inexpensive and I have been really happy with. REI's house brand is also underpriced for the quality of the packs.

My first choice, however, would be ebay. Many people buy top quality gear, then find that the don't use it and put it up on ebay. I have seen some great deals there.

If you are not familiar with the top brands, check out backpacker.com they have gear reviews, and I would trust their suggestions.

Stay away from the military surplus stuff. It is made to do a ton of different things acceptably well, but is not the best choice when you don't need the flexibility of a modular system.

Leave a comment:

• I'm a boyscout and next summer I am going to Philmont scout ranch which is ten days of backpacking in new mexico and I need a go

I'm a boyscout and next summer I am going to Philmont scout ranch which is ten days of backpacking in new mexico and I need a good and cheap internal frame backpack +5000 CU but also light weight, anybody have suggestions?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The Culture of Lying
    by labrador12
    Gave us my butt crack! Took our independence and forced our unwilling compliance with a BIG BROTHER solution, one size fits all. Snowhole you are a guy...
    Today, 11:21 AM
  • The Culture of Lying
    by jhjimbo
    The culture of lying is epidemic in Washington, D.C. and the rest of the Country. How did this get started? Was it Richard Nixon ? The crooked main...
    Today, 08:16 AM
  • Reply to The Culture of Lying
    by 99explorer
    Let's give credit where credit is due.
    FDR gave us Social Security and LBJ gave us Medicare.
    Thank God for both.
    Today, 11:06 AM
  • Reply to FBI Raids Trumps Florida Home
    by bowhunter75richard
    As was previously posted.......the midterms are no sure victory for conservatives. As stated, the dimwits will pull every trick to denounce their opponents...
    Today, 10:30 AM
  • FBI Raids Trumps Florida Home
    by rock rat
    Former US President Donald Trump has said his Florida home is being raided by the FBI.

Mr Trump said in a statement Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach...
    08-08-2022, 07:39 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X