Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking at buying a kayak soon. I plan on fishing and duck hunting out of it. I've been looking at a 9.5 Featherlite Angler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking at buying a kayak soon. I plan on fishing and duck hunting out of it. I've been looking at a 9.5 Featherlite Angler

I'm looking at buying a kayak soon. I plan on fishing and duck hunting out of it. I've been looking at a 9.5 Featherlite Angler from heritage. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm looking to spend around $500 or less.

You don't describe where in the country you live or the kind of water you plan to hunt, so my answer may be way off base.

A kayak will be great if you hunt in shallow, heavily weed-choked shorelines since it will allow you to enter shallow areas/bays and pull your boat into the weeds. However, most duck hunting requires a lot of gear (decoys, gun, heavy waders with large boots, decoy rigs, seat, dog, etc.) I hunt with a 16-foot canoe and fill it to the brim with gear. I take it you are looking for a single boat that will do it all and you'll learn with experience (like I have - the hard way) that there is no such thing. You'll have to limit yourself to 3-4 decoys max and plan to hunt small waters (which can be very productive at times. You might consider building a barge to tow behind your kayak (see Zack Taylor’s book "successful waterfowl" for duck barge plans.)

Hope this helps!

Comment

not really a boat i can suggest for the same reason but consider the weight and size of the boat because you might not always get your truck near the water

Comment

I have a pretty decent kayak and tried them out with my son. If you hunt solo much at all, this is absolutely the way to go. Takes almost no water to float in, and it carries your necessities. It is almost impossible to get hung up on stumps or submerged logs too. I bungee a dozen and a half decoys on the back, keep my gun in my lap, then store everything else in the front compartment. It's fast, quiet, and convenient. So long to the days of man handling my 14 foot Jon boat by myself.

Comment

I have a pretty decent kayak and tried them out with my son. If you hunt solo much at all, this is absolutely the way to go. Takes almost no water to float in, and it carries your necessities. It is almost impossible to get hung up on stumps or submerged logs too. I bungee a dozen and a half decoys on the back, keep my gun in my lap, then store everything else in the front compartment. It's fast, quiet, and convenient. So long to the days of man handling my 14 foot Jon boat by myself.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad