Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think arrow speed is the most important part of a bow set up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think arrow speed is the most important part of a bow set up?

Do you think arrow speed is the most important part of a bow set up?

I would say arrow speed is the most important part of a bow set up when it comes to hitting your target at unknown distances. Fast arrows shoot flat and make distance judging less critical. But I don't think speed is the most important thing period, fast bows are generally (not always) louder and less forgiving than slower bows, they also usually have rougher draw cycles and less of a valley, all things that make shooting it well more difficult.

Comment

No' deffinately not. It's just accuracy!

Comment

Speed, and arrow weight, (Kenetic energy), razor sharp edges, tuning, accuracy, and comfort of the shooter with his bow. It is a whole package, innertwined to produce deadly, silent flight of the arrow to its prey.

Comment

An arrow that misses or gut-shoots a deer at 325 FPS will not kill a deer effectively. An arrow traveling at 280 FPS into his atrium will kill him every time.

Comment

golfing sportsman answered it well enough..

Comment

I would say accuracy and quietness would be most important.

Comment

You guys would laugh if you seen my hunting bow. Its a old bear polarII cranked up to 65lbs,but I put a good quality fall away rest and Pollington red dot scope, I shoot Beeman carbon Hunter arrows with Muzzy 3 blade heads and use a release. This set up maybe gets up to 270-280 fps. What I like is its such a quiet drawing bow and once (and it took some time) I got the scope sighted in I honestly don't shoot more than 2 arrows at a time. Best part is my bow only cost me 80.00. So for me its a quite draw and accuracy over arrow speed.

Comment

O'Brother!

Comment

No. Bow manufacturers want to sell you arrow speed but what they do not tell you these bows will vibrate more making them noisey and less accurate. Arrow speed has already exceeded the amount necessary for a good hunting bow. If the bow companies were to be truthful they would sell you a bow that shoots around 270 fps and is quiet.

I'll use the same analogy I have before. Bows are like baseball bats. They reflect more the user than the bat itself.

Comment

Today, arrow speed is WAY overrated. Speed doesnt kill a deer, a well placed arrow does. You can have a bow shooting 250 fps, but if you hit it in the right spot, the deer wont go far. Its frustrating seeing Matthews advertise bows that shoot 360 fps. You dont need that much speed. I feel bad for people that spend a fortune on a bow because it shoots faster than the other bow. Just get out and practice. Also, I have heard many bows actually sacrifice accuracy for speed. Dont waste your money.

Comment

Accuracy, Forgiveness and Quiet, then speed.

Comment

You want the arrow to get there don't you! Faster the arrow, the farther you can shoot and the deeper the penetration. A good bow properly tuned and with correct arrow will give you accuracy!!

Comment

I love my Old HCA 4Runner, 310 fps and palm size groups with field tips and 100 grain 3 bladed Muzzy's at 50 yards!!! O'YAAA!!

Comment

Clay- I know it sounds crazy but with my set up I've never had a arrow not blow completly through the ribcage, they're usually stuck in the ground about 5 ft. from where they were standing. I'm not trying to get anyone to change their setup, I'm just happy with mine. Those muzzys are unstopable.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad