Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is some of the best skinning knifes that i can use to skin animals.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buck Knives 104 Compadre Camp Knife!
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Buck-Knivesreg-104-Compadre-Camp-Knife/1979478.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog% 2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26f sch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dbuck%2Bkniv es%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WT.srch%3D1%26WT.tsrc%3DPPC%2 6rid%3D20%26WT.mc_id%3DGOOGLE%7Ccam_Knives%2BTools _Buck%7CUSA%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D43700005646316268%26gc lid%3DCPGuuYLNjcUCFXQV7Aod6DQAdQ%26gclsrc%3Daw.ds& Ntt=buck+knives

Comment

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Buck-Knivesreg-104-Compadre-Camp-Knife/1979478.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog% 2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26f sch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dbuck%2Bkniv es%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WT.srch%3D1%26WT.tsrc%3DPPC%2 6rid%3D20%26WT.mc_id%3DGOOGLE%7Ccam_Knives%2BTools _Buck%7CUSA%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D43700005646316268%26gc lid%3DCPGuuYLNjcUCFXQV7Aod6DQAdQ%26gclsrc%3Daw.ds& Ntt=buck+knives

Comment

Comment

Comment

I use a Havalon replaceable blade knife. It is cheap and the extra blades are cheap, and ensure you always have a razor sharp knife.

Comment

I have this set from Gerbber and absolutely love it. Large blade with gut hook and a smaller blade for delicate work. And it's $30! The blades are carbon steel and shouldn't be used for other knife work. I was shopping on a 3" oak and the blade literally shattered. These are razor sharp and hold an edge.
              https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Moment...gateway&sr=8-4

Comment

A good quality 4" drop point fixed blade is good for skinning ... and many other uses. Most speciality skinning blades aren't terribly useful for other applications. I use a 1930's KaBar with stacked leather handle. However, I wouldn't advise stacked leather. Modern knife makers rarely go to the trouble to treat leather properly and consequently the sections often pucker and shrink. Hardwood treated with epoxy would be my choice.

Comment

Some decent knives made of high-carbon steel can also be found on https://mcdonaldpaper.com/kitchen-cutlery, I recommend it for they've got good prices and quality; the customer service is also helpful (we purchase stuff from here for the restaurant).

Comment

I've got dozens of knives but most often I use the relatively inexpensive Companion made by Morakniv (less than $20 on Amazon). These come with stainless or high carbon blades. I can't tell any difference in sharpness nor edge retention between the two steels. One morning I field dressed two feral pigs and one deer with the stainless version with very little decrease in sharpness.

I like the orange but there are many other colors to choose from.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Orange Mora.jpg Views:	0 Size:	15.7 KB ID:	710104

Comment

Going back to posted comments on this matter will bring up posts by rudyglove and his duplicated rants. This guy must have been a complete brain dead idiot. Why the site ever allowed him to exist is beyond belief !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                        I've got dozens of knives but most often I use the relatively inexpensive Companion made by Morakniv (less than $20 on Amazon). These come with stainless or high carbon blades. I can't tell any difference in sharpness nor edge retention between the two steels. One morning I field dressed two feral pigs and one deer with the stainless version with very little decrease in sharpness.

I like the orange but there are many other colors to choose from.

Click image for larger version Name:	Orange Mora.jpg Views:	0 Size:	15.7 KB ID:	710104
                        I second the vote for these. F&S former dog editor sent me one for a tip I sent in. It's stainless with the fire starter rod inside the handle. I could do without that feature but it can be useful for sharpening the blade in a pinch. The vented channel for fire starter rod catches a lot of blood and guts. And the rod also has a tendency to deteriorate and looks gross. My knife is stainless. It can take a bit of effort sometimes to put an edge on but seems to hold it well. Mine is also orange and I'm fine with that. The scabbard clips on the belt without having to drop my pants which is nice. Great knife especially for the nominal price tag.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                          Going back to posted comments on this matter will bring up posts by rudyglove and his duplicated rants. This guy must have been a complete brain dead idiot. Why the site ever allowed him to exist is beyond belief !!!!
                          Richard, I agree to some extent in that it was sheer spam. However, RG was always polite in direct conversation and seemed like a nice enough fella. Ultimately, it didn't hurt anyone for RG to pad his points, it was just irritating to see the repetition. I got the feeling RG was a shut-in for some health, emotional, or mental reason. That's why I wasn't so hard on what he'd done.

In actuality, 99 explorer padded his points to become #2 on the old list via posting so many inane questions, mostly unrelated to F&S. Then 99 compounded it by answering his own posts in a serial fashion, avoiding the use of the edit feature. Unfortunately, I think 99 is losing his mental acuity and the quality of his posts are dropping below his already low standards.

Gary got mad about the site admin not doing anything about RG and went to OL. He pretty much did the same as 99 and posted inane questions too. But Gary at least has some good sense and for the most part provided polite answers and dialog. Eventually, Gary would have climbed to the top of the leader board. But, in a fit of devilment, for several months I did a RG type move and surpassed all at OL to win that title. My twist was to go back to old questions and actually provide answers as if the topic was current. That's where RG and I were different. I had tremendous fun with how much I upset Gary and 99explorer over something as meaningless as points and position on the leader board! Ah, those were the days...

EDIT: Richard, we now have an ignore feature and you could apply that to RG's posts and never see them again...
                          Last edited by PigHunter; 07-12-2019, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

I second the vote for these. F&S former dog editor sent me one for a tip I sent in. It's stainless with the fire starter rod inside the handle. I could do without that feature but it can be useful for sharpening the blade in a pinch. The vented channel for fire starter rod catches a lot of blood and guts. And the rod also has a tendency to deteriorate and looks gross. My knife is stainless. It can take a bit of effort sometimes to put an edge on but seems to hold it well. Mine is also orange and I'm fine with that. The scabbard clips on the belt without having to drop my pants which is nice. Great knife especially for the nominal price tag.
                            OHH, I remember you mentioning that knife but I didn't remember it was the model with a fire starter rod. For sharpening, I use the Lansky cross sticks with 4 rods. The 20 degree angle seems to work best for me with the Scandi grind on the Mora's. I believe the original edge angle is 17 degrees so there's some merit in trying to maintain that but of course that takes a little longer to sharpen.

https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-4-rod-...gateway&sr=8-2

Comment

OHH, I remember you mentioning that knife but I didn't remember it was the model with a fire starter rod. For sharpening, I use the Lansky cross sticks with 4 rods. The 20 degree angle seems to work best for me with the Scandi grind on the Mora's. I believe the original edge angle is 17 degrees so there's some merit in trying to maintain that but of course that takes a little longer to sharpen.

https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-4-rod-...gateway&sr=8-2
                              I have a similar set of sticks in a block of wood that I bought my dad for Christmas about forty years ago. One rod got broken but the kit still works great. Clean the ceramic rods once in a while with Comet cleanser to keep them working best. I use an old celluloid handle sharpening steel from a Sheffield cutlery set to start and then finish with the ceramic rods.

Comment

Richard, I agree to some extent in that it was sheer spam. However, RG was always polite in direct conversation and seemed like a nice enough fella. Ultimately, it didn't hurt anyone for RG to pad his points, it was just irritating to see the repetition. I got the feeling RG was a shut-in for some health, emotional, or mental reason. That's why I wasn't so hard on what he'd done.

In actuality, 99 explorer padded his points to become #2 on the old list via posting so many inane questions, mostly unrelated to F&S. Then 99 compounded it by answering his own posts in a serial fashion, avoiding the use of the edit feature. Unfortunately, I think 99 is losing his mental acuity and the quality of his posts are dropping below his already low standards.

Gary got mad about the site admin not doing anything about RG and went to OL. He pretty much did the same as 99 and posted inane questions too. But Gary at least has some good sense and for the most part provided polite answers and dialog. Eventually, Gary would have climbed to the top of the leader board. But, in a fit of devilment, for several months I did a RG type move and surpassed all at OL to win that title. My twist was to go back to old questions and actually provide answers as if the topic was current. That's where RG and I were different. I had tremendous fun with how much I upset Gary and 99explorer over something as meaningless as points and position on the leader board! Ah, those were the days...

EDIT: Richard, we now have an ignore feature and you could apply that to RG's posts and never see them again...
                                I hope you never pass judgement on me, Pighunter. Seriously though, I agree with your overall assessment of those three guys. At least Gary was obviously the real deal, the other two I'm not so sure about. Rudy was clearly a troll with nothing better to do. A shut in would be my guess too. Rewarding posts, or making a false claim to reward them with merchandise, was a very poor tactic on the part of F&S. The leader board was simply another reward for doing mischief. Glad it's gone (it is gone, isn't it?). Admittedly I did get a bit irate when a couple of regulars called into question my authenticity. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and suspicions but it was the way they did it that was inappropriate. Tactless and insulting. They have matured though and I appreciate that.
                                Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 07-12-2019, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Only you can prevent forest fires!
                                  by MattM37
                                  Guess who will turn 75 on August 9th? Smokey the Bear!

What should we get him?...
                                  Yesterday, 12:22 PM
                                • Reply to Only you can prevent forest fires!
                                  by 99explorer
                                  How about a nice big flood?
                                  Today, 12:20 AM
                                • Reply to Tipping Chart
                                  by Happy Myles
                                  99 in Southern California that is no joke, especially in swanky restaurants were they feel they might be discovered. You can spot them as soon as you...
                                  Yesterday, 10:53 PM
                                • Hijacked tankers
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  Iran has 3 oil tankers (not ours) should we do anything ? What ? Be realistic, attacking the tankers would probably result in them being burned.
                                  Yesterday, 05:50 PM
                                • Reply to Hijacked tankers
                                  by 99explorer
                                  The Iraniacs seem to feel that we owe them one since 1988, when a U.S. Navy missile cruiser accidentally shot down an Iranian airliner flying in Iranian...
                                  Yesterday, 10:33 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X