Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To anyone who has used a SPOT device: how much does the service cost and how well did it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To anyone who has used a SPOT device: how much does the service cost and how well did it work?

To anyone who has used a SPOT device: how much does the service cost and how well did it work?

I’m experienced in Search and Rescue and have a General Class Amateur Radio License. I’ve been using “SPOT” weekly for almost a year now and really love it. I can go back and see the places I’ve been for the past 30 days. Don’t have to worry about calling the wife on change of plans out hunting or dinking around where ever when out of cell phone coverage, she can have rest of mind with the ability to go onto the internet and track my location and get an idea where I’m going. The “OK” button is great if you’re running late especially after dark when you should be on your way home.
    The unit works best when it has a clear view of the sky. Places that work best is on the dash of my truck, on top of my equipment on the front rack on my ATV and on my lapel of my field jacket. The belt clip doesn’t secure it good enough on my belt so I place it in my shirt or coat pocket and pull it out occasionally so it can get a clear view of the sky. There is two green lights, watch the one on the right and when it goes solid your message has been sent or your location has been updated.

Bottom line: Do I recommend it? YOU BET A REAL MUST HAVE! If there would be one Federal Law passed, devices like “SPOT” would be a requirement to all Sportsmen afield.

It’s not a question of “IF” you well get into trouble; it’s a question of “WHEN”!

Comment

I was reading about it and it said either 100 or 200 dollars a month to use it, because you have to use satelite. but I'm not for sure. It doesn't LOOK bad but it doesn't have a screen to tell you where you are at.

Comment

Thanks for the information about he device. I have a handheld Garmin Legend GPS unit and I take it with me on every hunting trip, but I wish it had some form of external communication because I'm rarely in cell phone range while afield, which is why I'm considering getting a SPOT.

Christian,
        Do you know if you purchase the service by the month or do you have to commit to a year or longer plan?

Comment

I believe that you pay about $150 to get the hand held unit. Then you pay a $100 annual fee for the basic service and an extra $50 for the tracking service.

Comment

GO TO "FINDMESPOT.COM"

Christian Emter

DO WHAT!

Either 100 or 200 dollars a month to use it, because you have to use satellite?

NOT!!

Unit costs about $150.00, I paid $140.00 for the unit I have.

When you buy it from a dealer SPORTMANS WAREHOUSE, Bass Pro etc. they should have discount activation coupons, so make sure you check in on this.

SPOT Basic Service Certificate (12 month)
            Price: $99.99

SPOT Complete Service Certificate (12 month)
            Price: $149.98

Buy it you will be glad you did!!!

Comment

It's great to have and it could save your life someday!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad