Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a Mossberg New Haven 12ga. w/ a vented bird barrel chambered for 2 1/2 & 3 inch shells and a fullchoke-tube. I'm using it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a Mossberg New Haven 12ga. w/ a vented bird barrel chambered for 2 1/2 & 3 inch shells and a fullchoke-tube. I'm using it

I have a Mossberg New Haven 12ga. w/ a vented bird barrel chambered for 2 1/2 & 3 inch shells and a fullchoke-tube. I'm using it for turkey this spring, and I don't want to buy 7 different types of turkey loads to see which ones fly best. Can anyone narrow down my search?

winchester super X 3in #5 shot

Comment

I personally like Remington 3in #4 shot. I'm not saying kolbster is wrong, both will get the job done.

Comment

I have a Mossberg 835 ultimag and I get really good patterns with 3" and 3.5" Winchester super x 5 shot. My Dad has the Rem 870 Mag and does not get nearly as good a pattern with the same loads but get a really good pattern with Rem 4X6 loads. My old SxS shoot the 4x6's better than my Mossberg but gets the best pattern with Rem 4 shot. I've never any guns that all shot the same load the same way.

Comment

Remington high density #6 Turkey loads pattern better than lead. This shot is heavier than lead and will not deform in the barrel. It is the all around best load for patterning I have ever used. This is expensive ammo but you only need 1 shot for each Turkey. A box of 5 will last me about 2 years and I usually shoot 2 gobblers every year. Best shot was 64 measured yards on a 23lb bird with 1.25" spurs with my Benelli SBE and 3.5" ammo.

Comment

Nitro 3" #4. very pricy but they do all the patterning for you so if you want to buy a turkey choke, they will tell you which is the best one for that load and your gun.

Comment

I'd try the big three, FED, WIN, and REM. You'll have less than 30 bucks in ammo and you'll have the best shell you can get. Forget about the others. I like the Federal with flight control wad. The Hevishot also looks good but every gun is different.
              I DO KNOW that I took my A5 out today to test fire it (not pattern) and 5 shots as fast as you can pull the trigger will put a hurtin on the old shoulder bone!!! :_ (

Comment

I agreed with Del in KS answer!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad