Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is a good gps for deer hunting around $200. i have very little sense of direction. i was thinking about a garmin map 76

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is a good gps for deer hunting around $200. i have very little sense of direction. i was thinking about a garmin map 76

what is a good gps for deer hunting around $200. i have very little sense of direction. i was thinking about a garmin map 76

I use the garmin etrex. Not a lot of bells and whistles on it but it works for me. My dad uses the garmin legend and it works good also. He just got it so he has not played with it much to see how he likes it. You can get a new one at a good price off of ebay. I have not used any other brand other then garmin. If you get a garmin make sure you get the up date cable. When the software is out of date it takes a long time to connect to the saddle light. If you keep it up dated it works a lot faster.

Comment

Regardless of what GPS you get, learn to use your compass & sharpen your orienteering skills. Some people naturally have a better sense of direction than others but it's a set of skills that can be learned. My advice is to mark your truck & mark your treestand (you can also mark a waypoint or two in between if you need to), then turn off the GPS and navigate with your compass and your senses--save the GPS for when you need it. If you rely on the GPS alone, Murphy's law will get you.

Comment

I dont know much about the handheld Garmins but I have a Garmin Nuvi 650 that I use for driving and i can also mark places off of the road. I havent tried marking my stand with it but im sure it would work. i would recomend a garmin to anyone.

Comment

etrax or whatever it is called it is very close

Comment

I have a Garmin etrex HC - $170. I have had gray scale screens on other models but really appreciate the color screen. Includes 24M memory for adding maps.

Comment

I have the garman 60csx

Comment

The basic etrex is only around 100.00 and works fine for me... Works great for marking hot fishing spots and being able to return there... Also has a track-back feature that will take you back the same way you came in...

Comment

Seadog is right, learn how to use a compass. "Sense of direction" is over-rated and no human orients automatically like a homing pigeon can on an overcast day. Get a GPS too but until you learn the first, just use it for back-up until you have it down.

I'm thinking about doing a "quiz" on this

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad