Opening Day Forecast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening Day Forecast

Of course, after two weeks of great weather, the first day of trout season Thursday is forecast with some nice sleet, snow, and gusty winds. Plus side, I'll probably have lots of stream all to myself.

Good luck and stay safe out there. I remember the openings when we had to bundle up and the snow started fallen. People didn’t last long out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
      Good luck and stay safe out there. I remember the openings when we had to bundle up and the snow started fallen. People didn’t last long out there.
      Thanks, and good luck to you, when your season opens.

All things considered, I have to say I have generally had decent fishing on the wintry weather opening days. Hard part is plucking the ice out of my rod-guides.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
        Of course, after two weeks of great weather, the first day of trout season Thursday is forecast with some nice sleet, snow, and gusty winds. Plus side, I'll probably have lots of stream all to myself.
        Don't count on being alone. Been there in sleet and rain and was shoulder to shoulder.

Comment

What is your bait choice ? Send a PM if you do not want to post.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Don't count on being alone. Been there in sleet and rain and was shoulder to shoulder.
            Yes, there are always more than you hope to see. Still, most of my favorite spots, I seldom have to share with more than a couple others even when the weather is good. Miles and miles of public-access streams, not many anglers going more than a couple hundred yards from the bridges and parking areas. Also, surprisingly few who wear chest waders, which really opens up your options when the water's a little high. You can still be properly cautious in the springtime water conditions and still get to a lot of stretches of stream that the knee-booters and hippers can't.

It helps that I like to just fish the regular trout streams and not head for the lake tributaries where the big rainbows are running. You know how that is. The fish are impressive but yeah, that shoulder-to-shoulder thing isn't worth it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              What is your bait choice ? Send a PM if you do not want to post.
              Early season for me is small spinners and spoons. Occasionally I use a two-way with Colorado blade, red beads, and a redworm or salted minnow. I usually buy a packet of the Eagle Claw two-ways, then put the blade and beads on a leader of my own -- they make them with line that's too heavy, and I like to use a hook that's a size or two smaller.

If I'm fishing to eat, which I usually am for the first couple of outings each spring, I'll fish straight bait, redworms or angleworms, or salted minnows. Hardly ever use nightcrawlers, though they are excellent for drifting into the undercuts and deadfalls for big browns. Mostly I catch the smaller worms as I fish, in the brush and woods along the streams, just flipping logs and rocks. On occasion, I get really lucky and find a few white grubs, too.

I'll usually fish a few hours with artificials, then if it looks like I'm not going to have any trout to eat that night, I'll give the bait a try. All our streams, either wild or stocked, are thriving with trout, never had any excessive commitment to catch-and-release; typically in a season, I release a good 8 out of every 10 trout I catch.

Comment

I used to use a egg sack that I made myself. Could not use real eggs at the time.

Check my post of early Walleye on the Maumee River. I don't fish it, I like the 3 year old fish, 4lb, from the lake and let the ones spawning stay.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                  I originally took the day off but decided to work instead. I'll go out in the afternoon.

Good luck opening day.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	7B6145AC-F87C-441A-8C35-F607DDE1B20D.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	4.05 MB
ID:	770013

Good luck out there guys. I’m working today, just took this shot of the river. Like Matt stated earlier it was 61* yesterday and we woke to this. Forecast had called for 4-6” of snow today but they revised it to 2-5”. It just quit so looks like we’ll be on the low side.

They called a snow day at school, spring break started tomorrow and they had days left over. Combined with teachers calling in sick this week from their second COVID shots I gues they figured everyone could use an extra day off. I’m thinking the Kid won’t be home when I get there this afternoon.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad