Only 16 Days!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only 16 Days!

April 1st trout season opener just 16 days away. Streams looking good with snowmelt, properly high but not raging, no big rainfalls or snowstorms on the long-range forecast as of now. Headed to Bass Pro this weekend for new chest waders (and whatever else might find its way into my cart ... it's only right I do my part to stimulate the economy.

Anyone fishing yet, or what's your first fishing trip going to be this spring?

"IF" I get to go, it will be crappie!

Comment

I was working down around the Pepacton last week, it was still iced over but the water level was down enough you could shore fish. That could change by ice out. Boats aren’t allowed until the ice is totally gone.

The weather and water conditions will dictate my first outing but I’m sure the Kid will be on the water opening day unless he has baseball practice. I tend to concentrate on getting spring yard work and other chores done before turkey season opens so I can enjoy May cast and blast weekends.

Think I’m going to ask the Kid to kill a couple trout for the smoker, especially if he catches some before the river is stocked. He’s been doing a lot more catch and release the past couple years, which I encouraged, but we’ve been upping our fish and game cooking endeavors lately. Might as well keep it rolling.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
        Matt, best of luck when you go.

I've not been fishing yet but should. There're small lakes in our neighborhood and a couple of rivers not too far away. My Ex is great at fishing. There's no way I can risk PigHuntress finding out if I slip off with the 1st wife to wet a lure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EC2DB5D9-9C8E-436C-A831-98F3799E1F17.jpeg
Views:	332
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	769175

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
          April 1st trout season opener just 16 days away. Streams looking good with snowmelt, properly high but not raging, no big rainfalls or snowstorms on the long-range forecast as of now. Headed to Bass Pro this weekend for new chest waders (and whatever else might find its way into my cart ... it's only right I do my part to stimulate the economy.

Anyone fishing yet, or what's your first fishing trip going to be this spring?

I went Crappie fishing when parts of Oneida opened up this past weekend . I'm one warm rain away from a bullhead dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
            I was working down around the Pepacton last week, it was still iced over but the water level was down enough you could shore fish. That could change by ice out. Boats aren’t allowed until the ice is totally gone.

The weather and water conditions will dictate my first outing but I’m sure the Kid will be on the water opening day unless he has baseball practice. I tend to concentrate on getting spring yard work and other chores done before turkey season opens so I can enjoy May cast and blast weekends.

Think I’m going to ask the Kid to kill a couple trout for the smoker, especially if he catches some before the river is stocked. He’s been doing a lot more catch and release the past couple years, which I encouraged, but we’ve been upping our fish and game cooking endeavors lately. Might as well keep it rolling.
            May is definitely prime time. A while back I finally got smart and stopped using up a chunk of vacation time for the trout season opening week -- after about the umpteenth time I spent the week fishing in blizzards or knee-deep snow -- and started taking a week in early May. I still take the first day off, then maybe a random Monday through the month, but no more opening week. (My older brothers, both senior citizens nowadays, enjoy telling me it's because I'm getting old, the way I don't want to fish in weather I used to fish in all the time. Nope, just trying to get more out of my days off. And maybe slowing down a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

I went Crappie fishing when parts of Oneida opened up this past weekend . I'm one warm rain away from a bullhead dinner.
              When a buddy and I were kids, we used to take our fishing stuff and ride our bikes all over, out around Truxton and Cuyler. If the stream-fishing didn't pan out, Plan B was farmer's ponds. Most anyone we asked always said yes. Got lots of bullhead. One time we got the surprise of our lives, fishing a pond that looked just like any other -- only it was full of big carp! Nothing like that freight-train response when you thought you were setting the hook on a little bullhead or sunfish.

Comment

MattM37,
                I can remember being excited about a coming hunting season, but down here in the south, we didn't/don't have any fishing "seasons".
                Maybe crappie season, but that was a water temperature. Had nothing to do with a calendar.
                I got excited on Friday when grampa said he'd take me fishing on Saturday.

I guess one of my most "exciting" fishing stories was when I sent the deposit to the charter captain in Kodiak, AK in December and knew the trip wasn't until late July, early August!
                Months of sleepless anticipation finally gave way to exhaustion and sleep finally kicked in.

BTW! If you ever go to Kodiak, get your currency changed before you get there, banks are scarce out in the Pacific! 😉!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                  MattM37,
                  I can remember being excited about a coming hunting season, but down here in the south, we didn't/don't have any fishing "seasons".
                  Maybe crappie season, but that was a water temperature. Had nothing to do with a calendar.
                  I got excited on Friday when grampa said he'd take me fishing on Saturday.

I guess one of my most "exciting" fishing stories was when I sent the deposit to the charter captain in Kodiak, AK in December and knew the trip wasn't until late July, early August!
                  Months of sleepless anticipation finally gave way to exhaustion and sleep finally kicked in.

BTW! If you ever go to Kodiak, get your currency changed before you get there, banks are scarce out in the Pacific! 😉!
                  Good tip, thanks! I still have relatives somewhere in Alaska and may get up there yet.

It's funny about the "seasons." Along the lines of what I was saying to Fitch, some "Opening Days" are really just kind of ceremonial here; the real action may or not be beginning just then. Definitely the trout season opener is one of the least likely to be satisfying, since even if it's not still winter, the water is generally about 35 degrees and the trouts' metabolism is still real slow.

I shouldn't say "least satisfying," since it is a great feeling after waiting all winter, but you know what I mean.

Comment

Yep, that's exactly what I was referring to when I mentioned the weather and water conditions. More often than not we get snow flurries on April 1'st and even if the water is down the banks are a slippery mess. Part of that age thing is not being as nimble on the shoreline like I used to be. I about took a header down some steep rip rap last year trying to keep up with the Kid. No thanks.

Add to it the number of people on the water and the slow fishing, I can wait.

I do recall an old timer who used to hammer huge hold over trout and natives early on. He hit big pools on the tribs using a flyrod rigged with mono and four big split shot to drift worms using the heavy current. Old school hip boots and a lot of walking.

Comment

We still got 18days until our opening. Then all the waters will open to fishing. I might go out a couple time a fish for them golden rainbows. Not really a big trout fisherman anymore.
                      My big fishing trip might be end April or first week in may. Gotta get the gear ready. Might have to find someone to help with the net so maybe I can get one of them big esox in this time.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad