Opening Day Trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening Day Trout

Couple more months. Though with new year-round regulations, Opening Day isn't such a big deal anymore except in the traditional sense. I remember how the old FS and OL had that "Regional" section in the middle, on the newsprint paper, and an article about the little towns that had barbecues and bake sales every year on the first day of trout season. Any traditions like that in your area, or in your family?

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
    Couple more months. Though with new year-round regulations, Opening Day isn't such a big deal anymore except in the traditional sense. I remember how the old FS and OL had that "Regional" section in the middle, on the newsprint paper, and an article about the little towns that had barbecues and bake sales every year on the first day of trout season. Any traditions like that in your area, or in your family?
    Do you remember the post standard had a fishing magazine in it just before April 1st ?

I haven't gone opening day in a couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

Do you remember the post standard had a fishing magazine in it just before April 1st ?

I haven't gone opening day in a couple years.
      You bet! I loved that magazine, still have a few of those in a box somewhere. Good old J. Michael Kelly. We were lucky to have him as a local writer. When I saw him that day on Factory Brook, he said he had another book coming, but I haven't seen it yet. Heck, a lot of his regular articles were more like essays you'd see in Field and Stream -- he could make a book just out of those, and I'd buy it.

Comment

Seems like the only opening day tradition here is it snows.

I can't remember the last time I fished the opener but as a kid it was a big deal. Might have missed school a couple times. If the conditions were right and the Kid asked I'd probably go with him this year. Honestly though, we're both hoping he'll have a varsity baseball game that day.

Comment

Only local festive type openers around here are dove(September 1) and squirrel/stream fishing (Saturday before Memorial Day) some grilling and camping group get togethers. I don't go to any events anymore though.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

You bet! I loved that magazine, still have a few of those in a box somewhere. Good old J. Michael Kelly. We were lucky to have him as a local writer. When I saw him that day on Factory Brook, he said he had another book coming, but I haven't seen it yet. Heck, a lot of his regular articles were more like essays you'd see in Field and Stream -- he could make a book just out of those, and I'd buy it.
            He did have a book with his old articles called goodbye old girl. His other book is trout streams of central NY.

Mike is also a accomplished hunter when he retired he hunted everyday of spring Turkey season then went fishing in the evening.

What do you think of his replacement?

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Trout-Streams.../dp/1580801781

Here is his new book.

Comment

https://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/2011/03/kelly.html

Here is an article about his books and contact information.

Comment

Oh no are we back at this again lol.
                  Are season still hasn’t closed it will in March. On the funny side they changed the dates and made it into one big opening guessing covid related. People who still carry on their traditions are complaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
                    Oh no are we back at this again lol.
                    Are season still hasn’t closed it will in March. On the funny side they changed the dates and made it into one big opening guessing covid related. People who still carry on their traditions are complaining.
                    What state are you in?

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

He did have a book with his old articles called goodbye old girl. His other book is trout streams of central NY.

Mike is also a accomplished hunter when he retired he hunted everyday of spring Turkey season then went fishing in the evening.

What do you think of his replacement?
                      Thanks, I didn't think of that "Goodbye" book though I think you might have mentioned it that other time we were talking about him.

I do not care much for Dave Figura, though I certainly link enough of his articles on here. Only game in town, I guess, and sometimes he does put out a good article (or at least hit on a good topic; his writing sure doesn't capture the spirit of things the way J. Mike's did).

I got pretty harsh with Figura a couple times, back when you could still post comments after the articles. I think he's a good guy, he just has no instinct for what kind of voice an outdoor writer should provide. He ignores a lot of really great aspects of hunting, for example, but then publishes articles on things which he should realize don't really represent the hunting community as a whole. Like that big feature on those few guys who hunt from luxury blinds equipped with couches and TVs -- which he can do if he wants, those guys are out there -- but he should have somehow made it clear in the story that the vast majority of us are looking for more of a connection to nature, or at least more of sporting challenge. That kind of representation of hunting is just what anti-hunters love to see.

Plus I don't think skiing, mountain-biking, etc. belong in the "Outdoor" section with hunting and fishing. But that's to be expected, I guess -- even Sports Afield did that for a while. More readers is what that's all about. (Though it is kind of quietly anti-hunting, too, in a way).

I will say, however, that Dave was always a good sport when I'd post a comment to point out a mistake about game laws, or a fact about fishing or hunting. It did seem like he was willing to admit he really isn't an experienced outdoorsman but was willing to learn.

Last edited by MattM37; 02-01-2021, 01:38 PM.

Comment

I'm no fan of Dave Figura .

I haven't gotten the newspaper since Mike retired.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad