Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats your favorite way to rig a ball of powerbait for trout in streams and ponds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats your favorite way to rig a ball of powerbait for trout in streams and ponds?

whats your favorite way to rig a ball of powerbait for trout in streams and ponds?

Start with sliding a slip sinker onto your line then tie a stop below it leaving about 18 inches of line. Tie on a #18 treble hook and cover it with power bait so the hook is completely covered. Cast out and let it sink to the bottom then reel in until you feel the weight of the sinker. The power bait will now be floating 18 inches above the bottom. Trout have very sensitive mouths so leave some slack in your line. With the slip sinker the trout will feel no weight on the bite and you will be watching for your line to move and not your rod to bend.

Comment

When your line starts moving set the hook. I use 6 pound test mono.

Comment

i agree with buckhunter, try to use the good-ol worm,

Comment

buckhuner is right on the money, though a bb split shot on streams may work better to present it...

Comment

Buckhunter said it best.

Comment

the best method is by fly and leave that crap on the shelf!!!!!If you want to use it in a pond where it's contained then fine.

Comment

I agree with buckhunter too. I like to use the treble hooks with the coil they tend to hold bait on longer.

Comment

put it on as small a treble hook as you can find. The coils work well but don't get hung up on that. Anything treble will work fine.

Comment

Very good answer from Buckhunter, but if the fish are close to the surface, I will hand my hook under a bubble with a tiny split shot just above the hook to keep it from floating to the surface.

Comment

Buckhunter had the a right idea, but I like to use a barrelswival instead of a not. I have found that it Keeps your line from kinking up(this is impartant in a stream where the power bait might move) and allows you to use lighter line closer to the power bait. Also make sure that the bait floats before you cast out, if you don't have enough on it will sink to the bottom.

Comment

im not too big a powerbait fan, i love dough bait from hatchery pellets and caro, i use a size 18 treble hook and a ball the size of a pinky nail

Comment

Agreed with buckhunter answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

I would like to ask codymeyer11 what is "caro", as used with hathery pallets.
                            Thanks,
                            stevearino

Comment

On a small salmon egg hook either off of the bottom or under a bobber is what works best for me.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad