Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When fishing Steelhead in colder water, like in MI right now, is there a water temp. that you have found where the fish really g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When fishing Steelhead in colder water, like in MI right now, is there a water temp. that you have found where the fish really g

When fishing Steelhead in colder water, like in MI right now, is there a water temp. that you have found where the fish really get active?

I don't take water temps while I'm fishing anymore but I've read that they move further for a fly when the water temp is 45 degrees.

P.S. I got your flies. Very very nice. Whats the name of the pattern?

Comment

Kjf, I dont take temps either but it seems that they are definiatly more active in the middle of the day rather than the traditional dawn and dusk times.

Comment

Trout/salmon species also like colder waters. I'm not sure what temp is best for fishin though. The colder the water is, the more oxygen in the water. this is why they move into the inlets or mouths of smaller rivers when traveling through large river systems.

Comment

They like cold water, but it seems they are most active between 45 and 60 degrees.

Comment

50 degrees and make sure that there's some sunlight on the water.

Comment

Agreed with buckhunter answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Have to agree with most comments about 40 to 60. Trout like the water a little colder but if to hot or to cold they can be sluggish.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad