Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any good suggestions for rainbow trout lures. I don't have any problem catching the browns but the rainbow give me a hard time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good suggestions for rainbow trout lures. I don't have any problem catching the browns but the rainbow give me a hard time.

Any good suggestions for rainbow trout lures. I don't have any problem catching the browns but the rainbow give me a hard time.

Try Panther Martins

Comment

Panther Martins- yellow body with red dots and silver blade
      Origional Rapalas- silver with black back or rainbow trout
      Tasmanian Devil- red/yellow/green or pink
      Flatfish- silver
      Rooster tail- yellow body, silver blade, black skirt
      Kastmaster- silver

If you are trolling: Beer can pop- gear followed by a Mack's Double Whammy in ppink and silver witha piece of nightcrawler on the first hook.

Those are some of my favorites for the bows.

Comment

panther martins
        rooster tails
        mepps aglia

Go to Cabelas an get the deadly 20 pack of panther martins and those rainbows won't have a chance.

Comment

Watched a gold miner in Alaska out of bait and lure use blasting caps, worked pretty good it did!

Comment

Red and White Mepps or DareDevele

Comment

Charley has got the ticket on the Panther Martins and Rapalas for the waters around Yellowstone Park. Before my kid took up flyfishing he swore by these in various color combinations. He consistently caught larger numbers and bigger rainbows, cuthroats, and cutbows than I did on flies.

Comment

Flashy colors are the trick. Browns are more food traditionaly minded since they're the grumpy old men in the river.

Comment

u can catch any trout on a white bucktail but if that doesnt work try a white or yellow trout magnet nd work it as slow as possible... rainbows r less agresive then browns so u gotta give them more time to decide if they want ur bait or not

Comment

Wish I had your problem! Mine is the reverse. I find the rainbows to be suckers for Rapala Countdowns, inline spinners like Mepps, powerbait eggs, corn, and even a Rogue.

Comment

A possible tip to your problem is where you are fishing in the water column. Brown are typically located near the bottom, slower water or near the shore. Rainbows are more mid to upper level of the column. Maybe try to get your bait or lure away from the bottom. Just an observation.

Comment

Agreed with Charley answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

blue blue foxes with a red flasher and hook

Comment

Try soft plastic minnows or spinners.

Comment

I'm assuming that you're talking about spinning gear....

In stillwater situations, it's tough to beat a Panther Martin in size #1 or 2. I like a bronze blade and body on bright days and a silver blade and body on cloudy days. (Cloudy days are generally better, regardless.) I like a dressed hook, but I can't honestly say that it matters to the trout.

For moving water, I like Mepps Aglia spinners in size #1. The same as the PM's, I recommend brighter colors on cloudy days, and vice versa. Even a temporary cloud cover can matter, as I've gone from no bites to a bite on every cast when clouds rolled overhead. Also, like the PM's, I like a dressed tail. I prefer gray squirrel for the silver spinners and red squirrel for the bronze.

I've had luck also with the smaller Rapalas. For stillwater, I'd recommend floating (add split shot about 2-3' higher, if needed), but you'll probably need the coundowns for moving water to get down deep enough. I don't know that color matters that much, but I still match colors to cloud conditions.

I don't know if you ever fish small pocket water types of places, but if you do, it's a great place to use flies on a long spinning rod, like the Shakespeare Crappie Stick. If you tie a jig at the end of the line, you can put a nymph or two above it and lob it upstream of any little holes where trout would hang out, then let the stream bring it into the little holes, and keep enough tension on the line to feel a strike and/or guide it along. It's basically the same thing as Czech nymphing on a fly rod, except much easier and cheaper; it works. Get a black crappie jig on the bottom--I like the Lindy walleye jigs with plastic bodies and marabou tails--that's heavy enough to reach bottom, but no bigger than 1/8oz. It can look like a leech or a stonefly; whatever it is, it works. Put a couple nymphs above it, spaced about 10-18". I'd use nymphs that look like whatever is in the stream, but a Hare's Ear size #14 and a Pheasant Tail size #18 will cover a lot of the nymphs found in most streams. If the water has crayfish, I'd switch out the black jig for something brown and orange.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad