Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are their spring and fall spawn rainbow trout?Or do rainbow only spawn in the spring?..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are their spring and fall spawn rainbow trout?Or do rainbow only spawn in the spring?..

Are their spring and fall spawn rainbow trout?Or do rainbow only spawn in the spring?..

Not sure about trout. I know that crappie's do though.
    Sorry I could'nt help more. Good luck and good fishing.

Comment

Rainbows spawn from late summer to early fall. Brown trout spawn from winter to early summer.

Comment

In NY they spawn in the spring march-may.

Comment

In Tennessee rainbows spawn in the spring. Brook and Browns spawn in the fall.

Comment

In Pa they've been spawning in March-May...

Comment

Most varieties of rainbow trout spawn in the spring, but they can spawn year round.

Comment

As most of the responders indicate, most rainbows, at least in CO & WY, spawn in the spring which always seemed strange to me because of the spawning bed possibly drying up as water levels drop. Browns always seemed smarter for spawning in the fall when the flows don't get much lower.

However, in support of matouse3, I've landed rainbows in the early fall with what appeared fully developed roe and seemed on the verge of spawning.

Comment

There are so many varieties, strains and hybrids of rainbow trout in the world, this is kind of an impossible question to answer. Here in Missouri, the state stocks two strains -- the Missouri Strain (oddly enough) and the Missouri Arlee Strain. One is a spring spawner, the other is a fall spawner. We also have some wild populations that often spawn in January & February. And finally, we have some private hatcheries that raise rainbows with a variety of bloodlines, like McCloud, Kamloops, Shasta, etc., and every mixtures seems to spawn a little differently, especially if they start inter-breeding with other strains. I'd contact your state conservation department and track down a fisheries biologist to talk to. They're the only ones who can give you a definitive answer for your local waters.

Comment

only in the spring browns spawn in the fall

Comment

For the most part, rainbows spawn in the spring. many fish enter rivers in the late summer through the fall and winter over before spawning. IN NYS, the D.E.C. uses photo-period manipulation to encourage rainbows stocked into "steelhead" water to spawn in the fall. This helps keep their gene pool seperate.

Comment

I just fished a pond in upstate NY yesterday Nov. 9th 2011.the pond is open for trout fishing until 11/30 each year, no ice fishing.The first rainbow I caught was dark and full of bright color and she dumped close to a 1/2 pint of eggs on the bottom of my canoe.So I would say they spawn fall and spring,because now I've seen them with eggs both times of the year.

Comment

I caught this brown, April 9th in Ashe County, NC and it is in full spawning colors and has a large kype (hook jaw).
                          Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad