• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best live bait for big brown trout?

Best live bait for big brown trout?

Worm... Natures Rapala.

Comment

In a stream a nice big nightcrawler is hard to beat. In lakes or bigger rivers, I'd try to get some medium to large native baitfish -- cisco, shad, suckers, chubs -- whatever is prevalent in that body of water.

Comment

You're flat out delusional if you think nightcrawlers will get you big brown trout. A total waste of time and effort.

The only thing that will do are minnows indigenous to the body of water that you're fishing. Small juvenile trout indigenous to the body of water will work but I wouldn't recommend doing that. Fish & Game will not be amused either. (That's where fly fishing has an advantage, you can fish patterns that mimic small trout without raising the ire of Fish & Game.) Mice will work too but they bite and people are squeamish about putting them on the hook.

Also fish at dusk into the night if you're serious about large trout. Big trout are largely nocturnal. You'll be scared by the size of trout you'll come across.

Comment

It depend on where your fishing mostly

For a lake: go with a shiner or chub about 2-3 feet under a bobber.
          I fished one spot on a lake the whole fall right where a creek entered. I got roughly 20-25 Browns all over 2 pounds. And about 30-35 rainbow on power bait.
          Also ignore the comment about not using worms. They are gonna work just as well float them under a bobber to.

I have never tried this before but I am gonna try to add pictures of some of the trout I got

I wish the best of luck to you. Just remember to be patient and stick it out. I got a 2.5 pound brookie in the pouring rain after 3 hours. Worth it!
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by fishman417 View Post

I fished one spot on a lake the whole fall right where a creek entered. I got roughly 20-25 Browns all over 2 pounds. And about 30-35 rainbow on power bait.
            Also ignore the comment about not using worms. They are gonna work just as well float them under a bobber to.

I have never tried this before but I am gonna try to add pictures of some of the trout I got

I wish the best of luck to you. Just remember to be patient and stick it out. I got a 2.5 pound brookie in the pouring rain after 3 hours. Worth it!
            Nice catch!

Comment

worms or minnows.

Comment

Originally posted by fishman417 View Post

Yes jimbo it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyflyangler View Post
                  You're flat out delusional if you think nightcrawlers will get you big brown trout. A total waste of time and effort.

The only thing that will do are minnows indigenous to the body of water that you're fishing. Small juvenile trout indigenous to the body of water will work but I wouldn't recommend doing that. Fish & Game will not be amused either. (That's where fly fishing has an advantage, you can fish patterns that mimic small trout without raising the ire of Fish & Game.) Mice will work too but they bite and people are squeamish about putting them on the hook.

Also fish at dusk into the night if you're serious about large trout. Big trout are largely nocturnal. You'll be scared by the size of trout you'll come across.
                  Your answer is spot on and info is quite correct, I guess the confusion is what does big mean?

Comment

There is no doubt a big brown will take a minnow but the minnow comes at a cost. A trout must expend energy in the chase and the willingness to expend energy is not always present in a trout. However, the lowly worm is easy pickings and often not refused. It's Natural Selection.

Comment

I've caught a few 20-23 inchers on nightcrawlers. Those are the big ones in my area, anyway.

Comment

Sculpins! And if you can catch them by hand, you're not of this world.

Comment

A worm or minnow. If you present them right with a good drift and keep it going the trout will take it. Caught plenty of nice browns off of skein or eggs.

Comment

Yes all true but big trout eat big baits, Penn State has done some intense studies about big Browns and minnows sculpins and baby trout. My point is only NYFLY is correct in the purest sense of the really big browns. buckhunter you are also correct that big trout conserve energy.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                              Sculpins! And if you can catch them by hand, you're not of this world.
                              LOL you are right about that

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad