Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of ultra-light setup do you have for trout or even panfish? Brand and size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awelker7
    replied
    Handy Pak Net Co. did not go out of business although the company did go idle the past couple years due to the former owners retirement (Frank Duffy) who owned the company from 1977-2011. My family recently purchased the company and are excited to be offering the "original collapsible net" since 1960 to avid fisherman like yourselves! Please check out the website and new and improved products and replacement parts for all your Insta Net needs. Handypaknet.com

Thank you -Andrew Welker

Leave a comment:

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with hothar and + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• J4huntfish
    replied
    Falcon original ultralight with shimano solstace and 4lb fireline crystal

Leave a comment:

• TheFishFinder
    replied
    u cant go wrong with shakespeer both rod and reel

Leave a comment:

• bgreen902
    replied
    you can use a cheap combo thats what i do and i catch lots of trout ..i'd say dont waste your money on those top dollar brands when they break just as easy....and if your not worried about lots of sensitivity go with an ugly stick...there very strong and will never break

Leave a comment:

• bibenthal
    replied
    I use a ultralight Daiwa rod 5 1/2ft.and Daiwa Regal 1000 reel. I use 4lb. test on the main line and 2lb. test leader. Panfish or trout ever fish feels like a lunker.

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    Bass Pro Wally Marshall Signature reel and 7' Bass Pro Micro-Lite Ultra Lite Action rod. Casts long and can still handle the occasional largemouth.

Leave a comment:

• hothar
    replied
    Have tried out and collected a lot of equipment over 61 yrs. fishing. My ultralight fishing is with tiny spinners or Super Dupers, unweighted nightcrawlers, and single egg with a nymph weight for trout.

For ultralight rods -- 7-foot St.Croix Avid and G.Loomis IMX, five and a half foot Fenwick HMG, and a six and a half foot which I made from Fenwick's best glass blank at the time. Reels include Mitchell 308, 408, 908, and 310X; Pflueger SP-UL; Alcedo Micron; and Shimano Stradic 1000.

Favorite combination is the G.Loomis and Micron with the 408 second. Use the 5 1/2 Fenwick on small, brushy streams and the St.Croix when chances are greater of damaging rods like climbing over rocks all day. Once tried an 8 1/2 foot Bass Pro Micro Lite but found it too whippy and with my casting, too inaccurate, and not very sensitive. Go to 4 lb line on the Stradic on big rivers where chances of tying into 16-18 inch fish are high.

Rest of the time use 2 lb and have sought an "ideal" line since Garcia quit making Platyl. Liked Maxima, but settled on Andre for a long time -- then fluoro hit the market!! Found 2 lb. Vanish okay, but starting to have hard time watching my line. Tried Vanish Transition gold, but can't really see much difference. Would like to try Transistion red, but they don't seem to make it in 2 lb. Will be trying some pink and clear fluorescent. Have some concern on non-transition type colored lines because I don't like to use leaders.

Do feel I'm having more tangles with fluoro, but not sure how much is line and how much is the reel. Many more tangles with the newer, longer, skirted spool reels than with the old style, narrow, non-skirted spools of Micron and Mitchells. Tangles aren't only on the spool, but often find the line has looped down where bail turns on body!!

Have moved to Eagle Claw circle hooks for nightcrawlers and like them. Not only do they let you release fish more unharmed, but not needing to strike is better on the 2 lb. line. Have learned to use a bigger circle than I thought should be used. Smaller ones too often get caught in the gills.

Always carry a net when fishing 2 lb.!! I've unintentially "released" a lot of nice fish when I left my net in the other vehicle. I carry an old, no longer available, Handy Pak Instanet. It's my second and is starting to show its age. I've ordered two (in case they quit making them or go out of business like Handy Pak apprently did) Gudebrod EZ fold nets which appear similar to the Instanet.

Leave a comment:

• dwaynez
    replied
    7ft quantum ultralight rod with a spidercast spidermite spinning reel, spooled with 2lb testline

Leave a comment:

• jbird
    replied
    I've got a Pflueger President ultra-light, can't remember the rod type, but it's bargain bin price. Strung w/4#mono, works great on trout n crappie. Just wore out a Zebco Omega, love that reel, and I must've caught 20 fish-fry's worth of trout, crappie, and perch with that thing before it gave out. Yeah, it's a thumb-caster, make fun if you want. I'll definitely buy another one, and I've got the fillets in the deep freeze, that's my priority.

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    5.5 foot Daiwa Apollo with a Shimano AX100Q.

Leave a comment:

• Alex Pernice the fly rod winner
    replied
    7 foot St. Croix with a A/G cardinal and 6 pd PP braid.

Leave a comment:

• Big O
    replied
    "Ugly-stick lite" with a A/G cardinal reel. 6lb. line(stren). Does that cover everything? : )

Leave a comment:

• steve182
    replied
    I have 4.5 and 5 foot St.Croix ultralights strung w 2# test and a 5 foot pflueger with 4#. I use the 4# when i float and fish. The St.Croixs are sweet.

Leave a comment:

• BamaCreekBum
    replied
    G Loomis ultra light with an abu garcia cardinal.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad