Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

here's another question for anyone that fishes for lake trout. My lake i was on this weekend is a spring-fed lake. The lake trou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• here's another question for anyone that fishes for lake trout. My lake i was on this weekend is a spring-fed lake. The lake trou

here's another question for anyone that fishes for lake trout. My lake i was on this weekend is a spring-fed lake. The lake trout stack up where these springs feed into the lake in about 100 feet of depth. I just can't catch them by trolling or jigging for them. What should I do?

try drop-shotted live minnows of some sort

Comment

I fish Crystal lake in northern MI, where the depth can reach 250+ ft. We (and a crowd of other boats) were doing just as meagel suggested and dropping live minnows down to where we would mark fish. Did well with that route, but only in the early morning in the summer. All the boats would clear out around 7am.

Comment

Could try this with "power bait" too.
        Hope this helps. Good luck and good fishing.

Comment

power bait and night crawlers or shiners work best

Comment

What are you trolling for them? Are you sure you're getting all the way down there?

Not so sure about power bait or nightcrawlers for deep lakers. It's not like brown trout in a shallow river.

Comment

we troll big husky jerks, and crippled herrings, another one that works very well are swim shads when they are biting. thanks for all of the answers

Comment

If you can troll with downriggers, you should be able to nail them. I know it is a major investment, but then you can keep your lures right off the bottom in a very controlled fashion. I typically use a chrome dodger ahead of a streamer fly or a flutter spoon or a clown colored or chrome snin-n-glo. I use an eight to ten pound lead ball to hold the downrigger down at 100 feet of depth. If these don't work, try just plain streamer flies with lots of silver and mylar or try a rattlespoon.

Comment

we fish for lakers on flathead lake in montana and we troll with flatfish using downriggers. firetiger and red crawdad are the hot colors up here. pretty universal patterns so they should work just about anywhere.

Comment

i always say when in doubt use smelly jelly

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad