Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am thinking about starting to use barbless hooks when I go for native brook trout. What are the pros/cons for barbless hooks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am thinking about starting to use barbless hooks when I go for native brook trout. What are the pros/cons for barbless hooks?

I am thinking about starting to use barbless hooks when I go for native brook trout. What are the pros/cons for barbless hooks?

if the suck the bait down to the there gut its easier to get the hook out with out pulling its in sides out with it.Also easier for the trout to soit the hook out.

Comment

It is easier to get the hooks out and they do les damage to the fishes mouth, but fish can also get off more too. You have to be more perfect while fighting the fish.

Comment

pros- easier to get the hook out.
        cons-fish can easily get off the hook.

Comment

Barbless hooks are worse than barbed hooks in some ways. Barbless hooks can penetrate the fishes mouth multiple times where a barbed hook will make just one hole. I always reccommend just pinching the barb down a little so it's easier to get the hook out.

Comment

Good comment buckhunter, I also like to leave a little bit of the barb, more of just a bump, there to help hold onto the fish, but still allow for easy removal and less damage to the fish.
            Just a side story, I used to fish in a barbless only stretch of river where we would all just pinch down our barbs. One day a Cons. Officer came down and was running a cotton ball across the pinched down barbs and was giving tickets to any hooks that snagged cotton. Real piece of work that guy.

Comment

Also much easier to take out of your own ear, finger, nose, etc.

Every once in awhile I'll break a hook completely off while pinching it down. Best to do it before tying the fly or, if bought, before hitting the water.

Comment

The idea with barbless was for catch and release. No harm to the fish.

Comment

You must be fishing for a different brook trout than we have in many regions of CO. Brookies here are pretty far down the catch and release list. Because they tend to proliferate, compete with other trout for food and territory, and become stunted when overpopulated, CO wildlife management, many y ears ago, implemented a special bag limit of ten brookies, under eight inches, in addition to the regular trout bag limit.

Comment

Yes, I guess we do have a more important Brook Trout in Pa...Maybe because they are the only true native fish here.

Comment

Pros.-there is less truama to the fish and it's a lot easier to take out the hook.
                      Cons.-it your not carefull and observant the fish will get off and you might lose the biggest fisf of your life.

Comment

Back in the early 1900s brook trout were stocked in areas outside their native territory like browns and rainbows were. They ended up outcompeting the native species. Now F&W agencies are trying to remove them so they can protect the remaining natives or restore them through discoveries of pure strains which they can harvest eggs and milt from and grow in a hatchery to create a large enough population that can be replanted.

hothar wrote:

You must be fishing for a different brook trout than we have in many regions of CO. Brookies here are pretty far down the catch and release list. Because they tend to proliferate, compete with other trout for food and territory, and become stunted when overpopulated, CO wildlife management, many y ears ago, implemented a special bag limit of ten brookies, under eight inches, in addition to the regular trout bag limit.

Comment

well obviously the pro is the fish come off of the hook easier the con is that the fish come off of the hook easier haha you just have to see what u wanna do catch and keep or catch and release

Comment

The only way to keep barbless hooks from coming out is to keep the line tight all the time, other than that they are great. There are many waters around where I live that require barbless hooks now. I guess it is better for the fish.

Comment

Pros: less damage done to the fish
                              Cons: more likely the fish will spit the hook.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad