Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I do pretty good on stocked trout in my local river but when middle of June comes around, the bite shuts off. I was wondering if

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do pretty good on stocked trout in my local river but when middle of June comes around, the bite shuts off. I was wondering if

I do pretty good on stocked trout in my local river but when middle of June comes around, the bite shuts off. I was wondering if this was because of the heat or because the fish switch to flies. Also, is there a good technique to catch these fish without flies?

If it is a warm water river the trout are probably off trying to find cold water. Might be up a cold water feeder stream, or around a spring, or in very deep pools. Springs are often hard to find. If the water is clear enough you might see a lighter sandy spot in the bottom. Check the water temps with a thermometer. If water temps get about the mid-60's I'd just fish for something else.

I presume they are stocked with rainbows. Though some of our rivers with cold feeders are also stocked with a few browns. I understand that browns like colder water.

With browns, they might bite better at night. Try a mouse or gurgler pattern.

Comment

It's the heat. Trout are most active when the water is cold and it is fairly warm outside. What you have to do is cast a worm out with one small weight (or more if needed) and cast it into the current. Let it float downstream and just wait. Sometimes in the summer, you don't feel the fish hit and they just sit in one spot with your bait so be ready when you are reeling in.

Comment

This is pretty much all true, but the big browns are OK with warmer, less trout friendly waters. Reason #32 why brown trout are awesome.

Comment

try the yozuri pin minnow.i love it!in summer the trout are in fact good eaters , but with the hatches it could be tough catching them .This is when i use the pin minnow beacause its a new look to the fish and i find alot of browns hittting it.

Comment

probably the warm water. Fish deeper pools, shade,

Comment

Shane, I agree with you. They can tolerate higher temps for awhile if there is enough oxygen, but become sluggish. I've hooked browns in warm water on nymphs and had them come in without a fight. Point is when the water temps start to get higher than their comfort level (mid-high 60's) they'll try to find cooler water. Temps can drop at night enough to spur activity. Browns love to feed at night.

Comment

if you dont wanna use the flyrod, try using a fly and casting bubble with your spinning outfit...works great for fish hitting flies...

Comment

Here's the secret for summertime fishing any predatory fish (trout, bass, etc.). Warm water sheds oxygen. The warmer the water, the lower the dissolved oxygen, meaning the fish struggle more with breathing. In other words, it's harder to pursue prey for any great distances. That's point #1. Point #2 is that fish are cold blooded. So, when the water warms up, the fish warm up, meaning their heart rate and metabolism also go up. IN OTHER WORDS, they're hungrier, but they're worn out. Trout need colder water than bass, simply because they need more oxygen than bass. But even if the river warms up, they're still hungry and they'll still eat. You just have to put something right in front of their nose -- preferably something that looks like it has a lot of calories in it. So, bigger baits, DEEEP, and SLOOWW, and sight fish directly to the fish you're trying to catch.

Comment

Brook trout can't handle anything over 65F. They end up going up brooks and streams to find colder water.

Brown trout can handle tolerate up to about 70F.

Rainbow trout have the highest tolerance. They can handle up to around 75F.

All prefer colder water, if available.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                      by jhjimbo
                      My Father and I built a 50'X50' pole barn to store his boat and a couple of friends boats over the winter. Just simple construction, we used 16 used...
                      Today, 04:18 PM
                    • 16 Years
                      by jhjimbo
                      So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                      08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                    • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                      by Amflyer
                      Aaaaaaaand...there goes Derek.
                      Today, 04:04 PM
                    • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                      by derek7
                      Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                      08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                    • Reply to Trump
                      by 99explorer
                      Trump is so desperate to screw up the election that he is willing and able to damage the U.S. Postal Service by withholding necessary funding.
                      He
                      Today, 03:59 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X