Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I went trout fishing yesterday in what's said to be a hot spot but with no luck. I've been told though that the fish there were

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went trout fishing yesterday in what's said to be a hot spot but with no luck. I've been told though that the fish there were

I went trout fishing yesterday in what's said to be a hot spot but with no luck. I've been told though that the fish there were stocked, so is it possible to fish out a trout stream with stocked trout.

Yes it's very easy to fish out stocked streams, or especilly a single hole in a stocked stream. Also, head downstream a ways and try. Stocked fish eventually head this way. Don't know where you're at, but if the water temp came up recently, that could be your problem. There's a reason stocked streams need to be stocked, you know?

Comment

Steve gives good advice. You need to get downstream of the popular fishin holes to where some fish have escaped capture.

Comment

well if it is called a "hot spot" everyone would fish that one area so give it a few weeks and fish should begin to appear again

Comment

Yes that stream can very well be fished out, stocked trout are one of the easiest fish to catch due to their willingness to take almost anything.

Comment

Could get fished out, but .... I just got off a pond stocked with nice rainbows. Got to get as many as possible out for the dinner table before the water gets too warm. I notice that they are getting spookier and harder to fool with a fly. Some do wise up. You could have just hit it at a bad time, too. Some might also run upstream - is there a weir or dam upstream anywhere?

Comment

Very possible to fish out a stocked system. Sometimes that is the very reason they stock it - to let people catch and take home for dinner.

Comment

Very easy too! You see the fish that are there will be fished our but not till the next stocking. other trout up stream will head into that spot. im sure there not gone just smart. you see, if you saw a bunch of your friends and every time they tried to eat food floating around and when the did they got pulled away and out of the water, would you eat the food? I sure hope not.

Comment

You need to look at a river like it was a set of stairs. if your fishing at the top step , then the trout have only 1 way to go..DOWN.. This meens you need to find that next step down river where they will pool up again. All those streams and creeks up above that wash down into each other , also send them trout down to the next hole. Makes for good fishing all year around. just need to keep working your way down river to follow the trout

Comment

It's very unlikely that the stream is actually fished out. I live in the Ozarks, the land of stocked trout streams, and I will tell you that you can always find some trout, if you fish smart. First of all, you really need to find water temps at or under 70 degrees. That might mean finding areas where spring seeps dump into the stream, or it might mean moving to the headwaters of the stream you are fishing.

Also, you'll need to get away from the heavily fished pools. About half of the trout that get put into the stream usually will stay in the pool where it was stocked, and those are the fish that the typical bait angler brings home. What you need to find are areas where the average fisherman doesn't look, places that aren't exactly obvious. Riffles and faster pools that are harder to fish will be your best bet to get into holdover trout. It is even better if you can find such areas a half mile or a mile from the nearest access point. Also, instead of using powerbait, and doughbaits, etc, you'll do better with worms, as well as small spinners and spoons. Probably the best lure for this kind of fishing is a size 0 Mepp's spinner, but lots of other lures work. So the moral of the story is, if you can find a secluded area to fish, and cool water, you'll still find some fish. You just have to be willing to work for it.

Comment

streams like that get fished out quickly due to the ignorant to keep every fish they catch....no offense to the people who actually eat 'em for dinner later on

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The Horse Race
                        by Pmacc60
                        You are for sure not a small business man , the Obama administration hurt small business and sent a tremendous amount of jobs overseas. Big business makes...
                        Today, 09:19 PM
                      • The Horse Race
                        by rock rat
                        There are lots of things making this a hard race to predict. Pollsters do their thing and mostly they show Biden up over where Clinton was at this time...
                        Today, 09:43 AM
                        by 99explorer
                        The recession officially ended in June 2009, after economic stimulus checks went out to 55 million recipients in the prior month.
                        The economy continued
                        Today, 09:03 PM
                        by Pmacc60
                        Like you all know I live near Delaware and I work there everyday ! Maybe it’s because we all know Joe Biden it I don’t see the support. Remember he...
                        Today, 08:48 PM
                        by 99explorer
                        "Fake news" is a cop out.
                        I used it once myself to avoid doing research.
                        Today, 08:42 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X