Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would yall suggest for brook trout in a dam that almost never gets fished...Just remember they are not stalked so I don't k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would yall suggest for brook trout in a dam that almost never gets fished...Just remember they are not stalked so I don't k

What would yall suggest for brook trout in a dam that almost never gets fished...Just remember they are not stalked so I don't know if they will eat power bait. I'm thinking about sticking with wax worms or something along those lines.

From my experience worms work very well on brook trout beneath a dam. I would try that first.

Comment

try everything!!!use one thing for like 5 casts and then switch it up.i due well with that methed.to much of one thing that they dont want and you can kill the hole...

Comment

throw spinners, and small gold colored spoons. Salmon eggs would work well too.

Comment

mepps 0 is a killer. you can stick a small piece of worm on one too if you need it.

Comment

you can try crickets ,grasshoppers , helgramites , and small crappie sized tube jigs as well as small minnows like a dace if legal in your area .small snelled hook type spinners work great also.

Comment

Skeeb, if they've never been fished or in your words 'stalked', IMO they should bite on a hook that used to have bait on it. Sounds like easy pickins.

Comment

i would use night crawlers

Comment

Not stalked as in wild...

Comment

skeeb not stalked would make them( natives) for the proper term

Comment

Yeah I guess I should have referred to them as native...sorry guys haha

Comment

Are you trying to say that they are not Stocked (farm raised and placed there)?
                        Anyway, I would use panther martins or worms. They have both done me well.

Comment

i agree with labrodor12 with the mepps and worm idea..i have killed the natives on these methods..however..dont use nightcrawlers, they are too big... a small garden worm threaded on a small hook hangin off on the end is a killer

Comment

we used to fish browns under a dam a couple years back, until the whole town figured out what we were doing. we started with fatheads and had good luck, then 1 day the bait store was out so we bought walleye suckers. man did we get some hogs. we would cast up into the foam pools and reel in just fast enough to keep up with current. plain hook up front with a treble trailer hooked in the tail.

Comment

I'm a little confused on where you're fishing. My first thought was the pond above a beaver dam.

If that's the case, I've had my best luck using either a 500 SuperDuper (switch among gold, copper, and chrome), a 00 Mepps (again gold, copper, and silver), or half of an unweighted nightcrawler hanging from a strike indicator -- all on 2# fluorocarbon.

I've also found beaver pond fishing more productive when I keep my profile low or disguise my silhouette in the bushes and step lightly. I've had luck approaching really big dams from the downstream side and casting over the dam while keeping my head below the top of the dam. You snag all kinds of things doing that if you don't know the pond well, but occasionally you're well rewarded, tricking the wise, old monster of the pond into striking!! I once stuck my head up above the top of a dam (was about 5 or 6 feet high) too soon and watched a absolutely HUGE brookie (had to be approaching 20 inches which is nearly unheard of here in CO) turn from my gold SuperDuper he was following and slowly swim away into the darkness of the pond!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad