Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, today I was fishing a small stream by my hunting/fishing cabin. I've fished it before seeing a few 8-10 inch brook trout bu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, today I was fishing a small stream by my hunting/fishing cabin. I've fished it before seeing a few 8-10 inch brook trout bu

Ok, today I was fishing a small stream by my hunting/fishing cabin. I've fished it before seeing a few 8-10 inch brook trout but never catching them. But while fishing, after catching a ton of 6 inchers, I hooked into a 12 inch native brown trout. And then after catching a alot more 6 inchers, I hooked into a BIG brookie...it was 12 1/4,I'm saying big because I fish a stream that is only 6 feet wide and 3-6 feet deep. All of the fish are wild so that just adds to the pride of catching those two "monster" trout. I would like to hear any stories you might have about catching big fish out of tiny streams. Good fishing!

I would like to know what state you're in. Brown trout are not "native" anywhere east of the Mississippi. Anyways, My youth pastor caught a 22 in. brown in a stream not much bigger than that. For that stream, this was the queen!!!

Comment

Well, I live in Pennsylvania. I'm guessing that someone put a brown trout or two in that stream years before.

Comment

Browns are not native anywhere in the US - brought in from Europe. Caught a 16" brown out of a small trout stream as it passes through a local municipal park. Was only expecting brook trout so it was a nice surprise.

Comment

Sounds like a stream i fish in Pa, skeeb. Love those natives. Let'm go always.

Comment

Pardon me, you are correct MLH. Rainbows are not native east of the Mississippi. My bad.

Comment

Well a 12 inch native brook trout in a small stream is always a great catch. Love catching the little brook trout on small streams, they can not afford to be to picky on those small streams in the summer, so easy to catch and the color on the native brook trout is absolutely spectacular.

Comment

I regularly fish a small (less than 8 feet wide in spots) stream that runs through a town as breaks from skiing during my early April timeshare. There's one large hole where over the years, I've pulled out three rainbows in the 18 inch class. Quite exciting on 2# line!! Have to admit, I also had on more than a few I never saw.

Comment

Forgot to throw my support behind MLH. Browns aren't native fish both East and West of the Mississippi. I think that's why they are often (especially years ago) called German Browns.

Comment

I'd say that huge brown and brookie that Skeeb caught discovered just how tasty their sub four inch brethren are.

Are there such things as trout horror stories told around the tributary?

'Fin and Spotty were sitting around the trickle eating grasshoppers when they heard a noise. Suddenly THE KYPE came out of nowhere and grabbed Fin and swallowed him down. Then THE KYPE came for me. I swam and swam but THE KYPE kept coming....."

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                      by franchi20
                      I've wondered about the guests on the Q&A site. I think it includes visitors the main page who never see the Q&A. It's an overall count of who...
                      Today, 07:40 PM
                    • Debate #2: new rules
                      by FirstBubba
                      New debate rules change.

Moderator controlled "mute" button.

Who made the request?
                      The "Biden Campaign"!...
                      10-02-2020, 02:10 PM
                    • Reply to What's after Trump?
                      by franchi20
                      Speculation is good mental exercise, but I think it's way too early to worry about the next one while fraught with worry about the crap surrounding this...
                      Today, 07:34 PM
                    • What's after Trump?
                      by FirstBubba
                      No doubt, Trump will prevail Nov 4th.
                      There is no more FDR and Congress eventually enforced the laws restricting a president to a 2 term limit....
                      Today, 01:46 PM
                    • Reply to So is everyone ready for deer season
                      by fitch270
                      The kids have already put two deer in the freezer this year so we're pretty well set. I've been out with the bow just once for an evening sit and saw...
                      Today, 07:01 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X