Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was fishing the South Fork in Southeast Idaho yesterday and catching trout on a silver and black Rapala my friend was using th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was fishing the South Fork in Southeast Idaho yesterday and catching trout on a silver and black Rapala my friend was using th

I was fishing the South Fork in Southeast Idaho yesterday and catching trout on a silver and black Rapala my friend was using the brown trout Rapala and only catching whitefish. Does the color of Rapala really make that much difference on what bites or was it just coincidence?

it shouldn't

Comment

Im sure it could have made a difference. Its somewhat like humans...if you like tacos youd eat a taco, but if you saw a green taco, you wouldnt touch it. but sombody who likes green tacos may. see it depends on the feeding source of the fish. the trout may be used to a certain fish that may represent a fish with similer color to the black/sivler rapala. but the whitefish may eat somthing with color like the brown trout rapala. its all about what their food source is.

Comment

yeah i agree with hunter.

Comment

It actually matters more than some people think...like hunter kid said, it depends on the trouts' food source.

Comment

I'd guess the different colors had some effect, but think differences in location, presentation, retrieval speed, depth of the lure, and size and action of the lure (were you using the same size and same type Rapala and fishing them the same way?) would have greater influence.

Comment

Color makes a difference to trout mostly due to it's visibility rather than in a "matching the hatch" manner. If you were fishing the exact same spots and getting such radically different results, I'd first wonder about how a trout's vision differs from that of a whitefish (I don't know the answer, but it would be fun to research it). I'd also wonder about the depth of where the different species of fish were holding compared to how deep the two crankbaits were getting. Maybe even speed of retrieval affected it. I'd be surprised, though, if there was actual preference being expressed (i.e. "I think the silver ones taste better").

Comment

Color is a huge difference. Got to know what is in the river to know what color to use. But you can use any color you want and you will most likely catch fish, quality cares.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad