Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok so I was out on the river yesterday and caught a load of good trout. I was wondering how if and how I could smoke them with a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok so I was out on the river yesterday and caught a load of good trout. I was wondering how if and how I could smoke them with a

Ok so I was out on the river yesterday and caught a load of good trout. I was wondering how if and how I could smoke them with a small weber charcoal grill. Thanks.

Never tried this but this is what i'd do: Position the coals on one half of the grill, leaving the other half as a "cool side." When the coals are hot, put the hickory chips, which've been soaked, on the 'hot side'. This will cause considerable white smoke. Place the trout on the "cool side". Put the lid on with the vent holes fairly closed. Don't know how long they'll need, just peek on'm after a while. Depends on how hot your coals are. Please post your method and results!

Comment

Steve182 is right on. I used to smoke various types of food, fish, venision roasts and other items the way he described. I would follow his instructions to the T, and you should be good to go.

Comment

Is it a Weber Smokey Joe? It is so small that I never considered using it to smoke. I just throw water-soaked mesquite or hickory chips on the coals but more to add taste rather than truly smoke. Just close the top vents down some. Works well.

I'd be interested if steve182's method will work in the little Weber. I'll try it myself when I get some fresh fish. I'll also put an aluminum tray of water under the fish, though, to keep them moist. Might also stick an oven thermometer in the opening to check temps - I think it is supposed to be kept around 220F for a couple of hours. Might have to replenish the coals and chips a time or two. Here's to experimenting!

Comment

take a big piece of tin foil folded 3-4 times and split the grill into 1/2. put a little charcoal on 1 side and add wood as needed. I pick up the lawn/woods and use mainly oak. put fish on tin foil on rack of otherside. lay another piece of foil over fire side and poke a lot of holes with fork.this makes half of the grill a fire box. spray or rub alittle butter on skin of fish so it doesnt stick. keep top vent almost closed and poor a little beer on wood every time you check it. i always have a beer in hand but water would be cheaper.

Comment

Agreed with steve182 and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
              by crm3006
              From honk the phony- " even though Browning conveniently glues an instruction diagram inside each fore end. Yeah, right.

I'm still waiting
              Today, 03:11 PM
            • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
              by derek7
              Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
              08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
            • Reply to 16 Years
              by PigHunter
              Thanks. Yep, I try to not be too lazy, was last in the gym on Wednesday lifting weights and walking on a treadmill. Another thing, I refuse to pay for...
              Today, 02:36 PM
            • 16 Years
              by jhjimbo
              So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
              08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
            • Reply to 16 Years
              by Ontario Honker Hunter
              Pighunter, I would hardly say your working life has been sedentary. Probably as many job shifts and almost as much education in maybe the same amount...
              Today, 02:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X