Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am a first time fly-fisherman. I'm kind of lost on selecting flies for places to fish. Right now I am trying to trout fish o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am a first time fly-fisherman. I'm kind of lost on selecting flies for places to fish. Right now I am trying to trout fish o

I am a first time fly-fisherman. I'm kind of lost on selecting flies for places to fish. Right now I am trying to trout fish on the Cumberland River in Kentucky. The water in moderately fast at times and runs anywhere from 2 feet to 10 feet throughout the river. When I catch trout with Power Bait they are usually in the 4-5 feet deep pools. Any suggestions?

Go by a local fly shop. They should know whats working and they can tell you how to fish the fly.

Comment

match the hatch!

Comment

I second Bama, go to a local fishing shop, they can tell you what you need.

Comment

If you are using dry flies you have to match the hatch it is alot harder but if you match it you will sleigh em. If there are not many flies around or you dont have a good fly, use a nymph and a strike indicator, i like copper johns. When you use a nymph you dont have to match the hatch.

Comment

When I was new to flyfishing, I had the same feeling of confusion. You may enjoy the following article:

http://tinyurl.com/ned564

Comment

Agreed with BamaCreekBum and + 1 for you!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad