Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I perfect the wrist action on a fly rod? My flies kept popping off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I perfect the wrist action on a fly rod? My flies kept popping off.

How do I perfect the wrist action on a fly rod? My flies kept popping off.

Gently bring the rod forward! Remember you are not cracking a whip...

Comment

Tuck your elbow into your side when you cast. Keep your strokes smooth and between 10-2 with a pause to wait for the line to catch up. Deeter had a good video a few weeks back. It basically said to imagine a glass of water in your hand and bring your arm back and forth without spilling the water.

Good Luck.

Comment

If your online name is Tex, I have to assume you can two-step or waltz.
        Use that cadence in your head...BACKCAST-twothree, FORECAST-twothree. BACK-twothree; FORE-twothree.
        As for rod position, that hour hand 10-2 thing often confuses beginners.
        Try this instead: To keep from flopping the rod tip too far back or forward, I find it easier to think of swinging a hammer, just use less wrist.
        Best cure for a bad cast is to go find a little park or even a street and just cast without a fly until you get your fly line to roll in a tight curl and your leader to lay down straight and easy, then add a small fly, a size 10 or 12.

Comment

To simplify even more, keep your wrist straight. The cast is made by the rod tip and flex... not with the wrist snap as in bait and spin casting. Move the rod to the 2:00 position, wait for the line to extend behind you and move the rod to the 11:00 position... no wrist flip.

Comment

take your wrist out of the equation. keep it straight and just move the forearm and elbow. from another video is saw recently, it mentioned never letting your thumb out of your peripheral vision.

Comment

Watch "A River Runs through It"

Comment

if youre snapping your flies off, the answer is to SLOW DOWN...decrease the speed and you will keep more flies on your tippet...

Comment

Go to your local librabry and get a book on what you want, take it home and practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, and....... practice.

Comment

Although I don't fly fish a lot, went to a beginners' fly casting school once with my daughter. Slowing things up is the key and if I remember right the technique taught was to stop the rearward travel of the rod somewhere between 10 and 2 o'clock, count, one thousand one, one thousand two and then begin the forward movement of the rod.

Comment

I had that problem until a friend told me to pause in the backcast for the line to straighten out. I was throwing it forward too soon. try it, worked for me.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad