Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey guys! UI have a few questions regarding ice fishing for lake trout (see first answer for details).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys! UI have a few questions regarding ice fishing for lake trout (see first answer for details).

Hey guys! UI have a few questions regarding ice fishing for lake trout (see first answer for details).

My Dad and I are heading up to Ossipee NH for a little ice fishing and were hoping to tangle with some lake trout. The problem is, we don’t really know that much about rigs and setups for lake trout. I was wondering if anybody here had any experience or tips to share.
    We were thinking of using tip up devices for the duration of the day, and I was wondering what type of line and terminal tackle to use. I was thinking something along lines of 10-lb braided line with some low visibility mono leader (lake trout being trout/char after all) with a three way swivel, small hook with either a live shiner or cut sucker on one end, and a 1 0z. sinker off of the other. Will this be appropriate or should I try a different tactic? Do I even need the leader, or should I just go braided line all the way down to the hook? Like I said, I’m in unfamiliar territory here.
    A few legal notes. Local game laws forbid the use of multi hook/lure rigs on trout and salmon lakes, so this has to be a one line one hook type of deal (no double hook rigs or treble hooks). Also, we are limited to two devices per person, so we are thinking of putting out four tip ups in a pattern.
    I have some idea as to the type of structure I should look for (underwater islands, shelves and steep drop off areas and the like), but does anybody have any type of idea about location variances based on this time of year (we are going next weekend)? Should I fish off the bottom or try a shallow setup? I am thinking of a mix.
    Any information at all would be appreciated (and sorry for the wall of text).
    Sincerely,
    Alex Martin (nehunter92).

Comment

I never targeted macs through the ice before, but I will give you my .02 cents. Go with the braid and mono combo. Try both the live and cut bait on the tip-ups and see what seems to work. I would set up two tip-ups, and then jig with another rod. Use some large tube jigs, or an ice fishing jigging minnow with a piece of cut bait on it. The jigging with the tubes will give you some action in the water and hopefully catch their attention. As for lake location, I cannot help you out, just be prepared to move every 30 minutes or so if you cannot find them. A Vexlar may come in handy if you have one or can get hold of one.

Comment

Lake trout are usually VERY deep this time of year. They don't come in to spawn on the shallow bars until ice is gone. So forget about jigging. I remember some guys doing it in a couple of lakes back home in Montana when I was a kid but those were monster lakers (some up to forty pounds). They used HUGE daredevil spoons. Problem is when the fish are down a hundred and fifty feet the mono gives a lot of stretch. I never fished braided so don't know if that will make a difference but I suspect you're still looking at significant stretch factor. We fish for lakers here often 80 to 100 feet and it's too much stretch in mono. So, I suggest that you tend your lines carefully. Use bait as described (if it is legal ... better check on that). Also, ONLY BUY YOUR BAIT LOCALLY. Many jurisdictions will not allow you to transport your own bait, sometimes even if it has been frozen! This is because of invasive species problems. Anyway, keep several loops of line laying next to the hole so when the fish takes the bait you can let it swim off and chomp it down good before attempting to set the hook. Even then with just a single hook and at that depth you'll have trouble. The concept of single hook only is to help with catch and release. But when bait fishing lakers through the ice, just as well allow treble hooks because the fish will usually get hooked badly anyway ... or get off. Lakers won't fight hard which also is of no help. So really give it hell when you set the hook! Combination of sluggish fighter and great depths/stretchy line does not help with setting the hook.

Comment

I should add, those guys who fished with the big spoons at 150 feet had to be physically fit. That is the definition of extreme jigging! Not just wiggling the rod a bit - the line would absorb all of that. It required standing and pulling the lure up as high as one could reach and then letting it drop. Imagine doing that all day long! And for what? The remote possibility of catching a great big bucket of stinking fish grease! Ugh! With frostbitten toes, ears, and hands to throw in for good measure. I remember one cold January evening telling my dad, "I'm bored. Have half a mind to go try my hand at catching a big laker at Whitefish Lake tomorrow." He just grinned and said, "Nope! You don't have that much mind if you're even thinking about it!"

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Do You Like To Fish In The Rain ?
            by Solitario Lupo
            Jimbo I dont really go for eyes on Erie but that is impressive almost 80 degrees on top and in that depths wonder how cold it gets in that thermocline....
            Today, 06:16 PM
          • Do You Like To Fish In The Rain ?
            by jhjimbo
            We are getting a nice slow soaker of a rain for most of Sat afternoon. Reminds me when we fished from my Fathers cruiser. It was called an express cruiser...
            08-01-2020, 05:28 PM
          • Reply to The George Floyd case.
            by 99explorer
            I do feel sorry for those rookie cops on the scene who had their backs to the brutality being committed by their senior officer.
            Today, 06:00 PM
          • The George Floyd case.
            by FirstBubba
            Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
            Minnesota...
            Yesterday, 10:23 PM
          • Reply to How do you fly ?
            by DakotaMan
            I tend to buy scopes to fill a need that I already have in hand. I always shop hard and can usually find a good deal somewhere on the planet when I am...
            Today, 05:48 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X