Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what size mepps should i use to fish in medium sized rivers for trout smallmouth etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what size mepps should i use to fish in medium sized rivers for trout smallmouth etc.

what size mepps should i use to fish in medium sized rivers for trout smallmouth etc.

Mepps used to make and still may a "trouter"kit. I still have mine with the squirrel tails and 1 with a rubber minnow They work great for trout and panfish even bass!

Comment

depends waht kind of trout your fishing but a #2 is my go to size for a smaller mepps but there are many choices that you may ask a friend if you can borrow from him if he has them.

Comment

I agree with muskiemaster that it depends on the trout you're fishing for. I've had most of my success with size O for smaller rivers or #1 for medium size rivers. I use #2 for smallmouths.

Comment

wow size 2 and 0? I would have to say 4.It depends on the river your fishing and how fast it flows.trout will hit both small and big spinners.Its all about how deap and how fast the water.to small a lure and its not going to spinn deep. to slow a currant and to big a lure , you will have issues keeping it off the bottom.i like 4-6oz panther martins.but for a mepps i would use a number 4

p.s theres a picture under my account with a mepps spinner in trouts mouth if want to see what lure!!!!!

Comment

I used to fish exclusively with a #1 gold Mepps on 4# line and did pretty well on almost any stream. After going ultralight, I now fish 0 and 00 in smaller streams on 2 lb line, and 1s in medium rivers with #2, going to #4 if the expectation of 14-16 inchers is high. On big, fast canyon waters, with trout to 5+ lbs, I now use #3-#5's on 8 lb line.

I've also succumbed to all the propaganda that you use silver in turbid waters/dark days and gold in clear waters/bright days, but still have the nagging feeling that browns hit the gold better and rainbows hit the silver.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad