Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A fellow chef and I were having a conversation the other day at the bar in the restaurant we work about fishing spawning browns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fellow chef and I were having a conversation the other day at the bar in the restaurant we work about fishing spawning browns

A fellow chef and I were having a conversation the other day at the bar in the restaurant we work about fishing spawning browns in the fall. A guy that frequents the bar is a big fly fisherman as well and said that it is unethical to fish spawning fish. I disagree. I take care of the fish I catch and try not to disturb the beds. I have a blast hiking up small tribs to throw a line at big spooky browns. What say you guys?

I don't do it. For me it's an ethical issue. I do my best to encourage the species success and fishing off beds in my mind disturbs that.

Comment

I don't disturb the bed. The fish will hit anything to defend the nest - what sport is that?

Comment

I say if its legal do it, Its still fishing, getting out in the wild to do anything outdoorsy is never a bad choice. Its much like hunting the rut, I have hunted the rut for deer that never took a second glance at me because all they could think about was the doe, is it unethical? I do not think it is but that is jmo.

Comment

I think it's about on a par with shooting a black bear feeding at the bait station. Not my cup of tea.

Comment

I can agree with you guys on fishing over beds. I don't fish over beds. I do however fish the fish on their way to bed. When I said I try not to disturb the beds, I meant If I see one I don't fish. I have found big browns on their way up the stream to spawn and they are spooky spooky fish. Getting them to bite(at least where I'm at) usually takes a long cast in very tight and tricky places and it can be very challenging.
            jhjimbo- The trout I have had experience with do not bite anything. In fact most of the time it is just the opposite. I have be rejected by far more fish than I have caught.

Comment

To me, it depends on the other fish species. Browns are invasive (which is a bit of a misnomer since people brought them here). If you fish in a stream where Browns are crowding out native species (i.e. brookies or cutthroats), I say fish for them all you want. Otherwise, it's not very sporting.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad